Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Link Hand Controller

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2002, 01:55 PM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I noticed a question the other day which asked about using the delta dash to monitor any engine knock. Most people seemed to think that it would be better to fit a knock link with separate sensor, as the standard ECU doesn’t give very accurate info above 5 or 6 grand (to much going on etc)

I have a similar question if I fit a link ECU with hand controller to my 94 WRX can I use the hand controller to monitor any knock. Is the Link ECU any better at seeing knock?

It states in the manual that the hand controller will show the number of times it detects knock between each time the car is started.

I have an AFR gauge so I can see if the mixture runs lean and I have a gauge showing the air temp coming out of the intercooler. I have just replaces the O2 sensor (now in SS down pipe) and I’m sure the coils will need looking at soon, so if I don’t have to get the knock link (its also butt ugly) I wont.

John, Bob etc any thoughts?

Cheers
S
Old 06 September 2002, 02:53 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could get the knock link and remote mount the LED's

David
Old 07 September 2002, 09:18 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smiler, you can tell if the engine has knocked with the tuning module, and then you can check where it knocked.

But I would recommend getting a knock link, and taking the led's out of it, and mounting them in the dash surround.

The best way of seeing if your map if rich/lean, is to get a serial link, and a laptop (borrow one if needed). Do a couple of runs, and then check the logs.

Dan