Gearbox Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2002, 07:18 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Lads,

Found out the cause of an oil drip is the breather plate behind the flywheel. Posted the problem on another thread "Worrying oil drip from flywheel area??". So it's time to get the gearbox out...

Wondering on any tips or info on removing the gearbox from those who have already been in that position. I may be able to use a shed with a pit, so that might make it easier.

Would anybody have the part number for the breather plate, & in what region cost wise?

Any recommendations for the job (i.e. leave it to a mechanic or do it myself). Never been any reason for me to take a gearbox out & hence wonder am I biting of more than I can chew?

Any info on location of bolts / how many / how hard etc would be really appreciated.

I've already had the dowpipe off about two months ago so that shouldn't pose a major problem.

Regards

Johny.

Old 02 September 2002, 07:47 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt buy any parts until you actually know where the leak is coming from. The plate may just need re sealed. It may be the crankshaft oil seal. Could it possibly be coming fom a rocker cover, and dripping down ?