Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Forge DV question Red Vs Blue spring!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2002, 12:10 AM
B4 Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok I know it's been done to death but I have a couple of questions/problems...

MY99 B4 RSK (Legacy)

I have a forge DV (With red spring) fitted with a K&N Air filter, at about 4,000rpm (1st turbo) at the gear change I get a nice flutter sound from the filter with a slight sound from the dump valve when the second turbo kicks in and a gear change after 6,500rpm I get a whoosh from the filter only.

Ok I know it all seems a little trivial trying to get all these great noises from the car, but i wanted more! So I went in search of a little more noise. Forge sent me a blue spring for the DV which I fitted when it arrived the next day (Great customer service) now at 4,000rpm (1st Turbo) I get a loud dump sound at the gear change but nothing after a gear change when the second turbo kicks in. After much head scratching and looking at the DV operating I notice that the Valve appears to be open all the time with the blue spring. Could it be that the blue spring is Too soft?

I know its a trivial question but would be grateful for any responses. Need a more noise!! SS system coming soon!

Matt

[Edited by B4 Boy - 8/19/2002 1:19:08 AM]
Old 19 August 2002, 08:34 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It shouldn't be open all the time or you will be losing boost pressure through it...

I would have thought the blue spring would be better on a legacy TT as the primary turbo boost pressure will not be very big compared to the second stage, and the DV needs to release this to prevent stall. This would be a lot worse on a sequential turbo as it would prevent the second one spooling up as quick. Are you sure with the red spring the filter is not drowning out the dump noise? Did on my previous scoob with the same setup as you.

MB