Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scoobysport DP Fitted :-) but...

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2002, 12:53 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well I finally got the Scoobysport DP fitted yesterday to my MY99, together with the Samco turbo and intercooler hoses.

After all the horror stories out there, it took longer to remove the heatshield than the turbo bolts, as I was forever coming across just one more bolt to remove. I soaked the five turbo bolts in ‘plus gas’ for an hour or so while I had lunch and replaced the intercooler ‘Y’ hose. Each one came off in turn with the racket spanner from above with the exception of the lower O/S one which I got to from under the car in the end. The rest of the DP fittings were removed and the old pipe removed from under the car. I offered-up the Scobysport pipe to the turbo (with new gasket) and rested the lower end into the under-side bracket ‘hook’.

About 2 hours in and all was going really well, (too well) as I offered the back end of the DP to the Magnex baffled centre. Oh dear… I had the 2 ½” DP and a 3” centre!

I just couldn’t face replacing the DP with the original so I packed the gap with exhaust tape and replaced the intercooler, cut heatshield and lambda. I started the car (WOW) and felt for the blowing around the joint. None yet so off for the test drive…

Everything everyone says about turbo spool and more power are true. The car is superb and I just can’t wait to get it properly mapped. Once cruising on the motorway, the increased noise you get under acceleration is hardly there at all.

So I’m really pleased with the mod but in need of some advice on what I should do about my ‘bodged’ centre connection? Replace the DP with a 3”, replace the Magnex with a SS straight through or leave it as it is and see how things go???

Comments and help gratefully received…

Jon
Old 28 July 2002, 02:34 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thats strange Jon, I was pretty sure the magnex is a 2.5" system too as its what I have on my MY99 Uk
Old 28 July 2002, 03:27 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Have you got the mesh/wedge shaped gasket that goes inbetween??
Rob
Not sayin you are wrong BUT magnex pipes are all 2 1/2" where they meet because they are interchangeable for the oe exhaust parts..

[Edited by tweenierob - 7/28/2002 3:28:31 PM]
Old 28 July 2002, 04:07 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the end of the standard downpipe is a composite gasket. It is about 3.2" outside diameter, and 2.5" inside, about 1/2" thick with a chamfer on the side that goes into the centre section.

You need to prise this off with a fairly thin flat blade screw driver or similar. It should fit over the small piece of 2.5" tube at the end of the downpipe, you may need to tap it in place with a light mallet or piece of wood.

Be careful you don't get stabbed by a stray piece of wire from the gasket.

Paul
Old 28 July 2002, 05:17 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Talking

just back from the garage after looking at the old DP. why i never thought of checking the old one against the new one i'll never know! Got the old washer off - much better than exhaust tape!

Thanks very much guys. I was pretty sure that Pete C wouldn't have advised me to get the 2.5" one without good reason. Obviously it'll be more difficult to replace from under the car but i'm not taking off the DP again!

Thanks again,

Jon
Old 29 July 2002, 09:42 AM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Smile

and i should add that the Magnex is obviously 2.5" and i was just getting confused.

Anyway, metal composite washer now installed and all is well!

Cheers, Jon
Old 29 July 2002, 09:56 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

you dont have to take the downpipe off to do this, just remove the bolts connecting the centre to the dp and with a little bit of effort you can push the gasket in.

if you cant manage this then disconnect the centre from the back box and then put the gasket in, then reconnect the centre to the dp, then the centre to the back box.

this is alot easier than removing the downpipe again!!

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2002, 10:59 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
hi

where was the Lamda sensor, cause i cant find it on my old DP

ScoobyDoo69
Old 30 July 2002, 09:30 AM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

SD69,

Looking at the engine from the front, it's at the top of the DP just behind the turbo heatshield on the right. You won't get the DP off without at least disconnecting it and i would advise removing it first.

Cheers, Jon
Old 30 July 2002, 11:07 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo69

pre 97 cars have the lambda sensor in the manifold, below the air filter box.
Old 30 July 2002, 11:16 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete, maybe someone should tell subaru that, mine is in the dp.

Some jap cars have a sensor in one of the exhaust headers.

Paul