Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

EGT & OEM temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 12:00 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a MY95 with the lambda in the headers & a temp sensor in the downpipe.

- I've read somewhere on another thread that the ECU doesn't need the temp sensor in the downpipe for normal running so losing it would not impact on the running of the car. Is this true?

- If the temp sensor in the downpipe was replaced with a new Lambda sensor - are the holes the same size?

- Could I change the existing temp sensor from the downpipe to the headers (same size?) & use this with an EGT guage?

- Or would I need a specific EGT sensor to fit in the existing Lambda sensor hole in the headers? Assuming the thing would come out!

Any info greatly appreciated.

Johny.

Old 25 July 2002, 10:38 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Hi

Most EGT sensors come with a 1/8 NPT thread, the lambda sensor is M18x1.5 mm.

I have a MY95 WRX, the way I approched it was to fit a decat downpipe, all types should have the hole for the lambda sensor there. Then I moved my sensor to the d/p and had a 1/8NPT to M18 adaptor made so that the EGT probe went into the headers. I believe that you may be able to get these adapters, there are some made for the oil temp/pressure probes that use a blanking hole somewhere - give Scoobymania a ring, they were very helpful when advising me on the EGT probes.

You may find that the temp probe in your d/p is 1/8 NPT - it looks smaller than M18 from memory, could be a simple case of mounting the EGT there, but I prefer to put it closer to the cylinders.

If you don't want to get rid of your cat then you could buy a second hand OE d/p from a later verion car with the hole for the Lambda sensor there - I'm sure theres a few going spare round here!

Another thing, if you do get another d/p you can move the lambda and bung up the spare hole with a spark plug from a pinto engine, they are the correct size - no flameout ideas now....

Justin
Old 25 July 2002, 10:49 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Re-reading your thread, i believe the OE temp sensor is not compatable with an EGT gauge, in fact I don't think it even measures EGT, it measures the temp of the cat and puts on a warning light if its too hot, or indeed on fire!

most EGT gauges come with the probe included, well decent ones do since they are calibrated and matched to the probe - so much so that shortening the cable between gauge and sensor will give false readings - any spare should be coiled up out of harms way.

Justin
Old 25 July 2002, 12:51 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Justin,

Thank you very much for the info! Feel a lot more knowledgable now. Will investigate more.

Johny.