Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

boost cut problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2002, 03:37 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a intermitent problem with my car mY99 with magnex c/c ss/back box. From time to time after fitting a induction kit the car shuts boost down after reaching it`s normal 1kg/cm2 to 0.5kg/cm2 and will not boost above that in any gear untill the engine is switch off and started again. when this happens there is no engine check light or other problems just half boost. At what pressure does the ecu cut boost am i near the limit at 1kg/cm2.?

After Fitting oe filter box back on with panel filter i noticed it seemed very and less boost only 0.9kgcm2 and flat and took alot loger to spool. You dont notice the extra power/tourqe and less time for the turbo spoll up till you put the oe eqipment back on.
Old 25 July 2002, 04:04 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

Still having boost problems with my car stuck at 0.5 bar. Took in to subaru today after having the car all day and them taking £130 off me for labour they told me they had no idear what the problem was, they said they spoke to subaru tecnical but still no idear they want the car for another 2-3 days to remove the ecu.I can get full boost if i remove the oe boost solenoid and replace with a bleed valve,I know this is does not slove the problem but must indicate the turbo and engine/ecu are ok and must be somthing silly lose wire etc.

Please has any one got any advice or a spare ecu i can try for a
my99. May have to spend more money and take to power + enginering
Old 25 July 2002, 04:13 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

is the wastegate sticking??
Old 25 July 2002, 04:16 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Have you tried either the plug in cleaning cycle (plugs under dash) or physically cleaning out the pipes ets with brake cleaner?

Logically (unusual for me), I would think given that you had 'good' results from bypassing the oe boost solonoid it may be that is the prob???
Old 25 July 2002, 06:59 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'll have a bash here: if the ECU notices excessive or erratic knocking, it drops boost. Could easily happen if there's overboost caused by an exhaust system the ECU isn't expecting or similar, dodgy fuel/junk in fuel tank, or a weak mixture given that either the flow round the MAF is not what it's expecting (non-standard air filter ) or the MAF is knackered/on its way out. At 'going' rather than 'gone', the MAF misreads but the ECU doesn't take any notice (ie no error codes) except to take preventative measures, such as dropping boost to 7psi or thereabouts. This will then edge higher over time as the ECU gains confidence (or whatever you want to call it ) or, presumably, if the car is switched off. There's no error code logged, so it just forgets.
Well, it's an idea!
Find someone with DeltaDash & thrash about the place noting MAF readings & hope that the ECU cuts boost again while looking just to check.
Or take it to PE where they can do it on the spot...