Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oh thank the Lord !

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2002, 07:09 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I got my new MAF sensor today, (thanks Walldonway Maidstone), and as stated by others on this bbs, got just the sensor (£70).

Cleaned all the intake side and fitted it (in between the rain), as I started the car I hoped that this would do the trick...it did.

Went out for a "shake down", after a while the ECU "set up" for Optimax and we were away... 1.34 bar and BIG grin accompanied by pops, bangs and flames!

As an aside, my home grown cold air feed pipe had water and grit in it, the MAF housing had grit in it, I can only presume that in the very wet weather we had a little while ago (and now), that my cold feed had fed the blasts of surface water along with a wheelbarrow full of grit into the foam filter under pressure

I have now removed the cold air feed and blanked off the hooj great holes in the inner wing, I am hoping that the new MAF IS more robust than the older one.

Sorry to go on but I presume that those with similar set ups would like to know about the down side of Induction and cold air feeds.

Grinning again, Moles Dad.
Old 04 July 2002, 10:07 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Where is cold cold air feed feeding from?
Sorry - I'm probably being dense here!
Old 04 July 2002, 10:23 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay in reply, the cold air feed was taken from the vent under the indicator.

MD.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:08 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Ah, OK... ta!
Old 05 July 2002, 10:24 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Pebble dash in the intake, you havent been doing a sneaky accropolis rally have you.

I dont think my car uses the MAF (Link ECU MY98 STI), are they prone to going wrong?

BTW, weve got the same local dealer. What car do you drive?,it sounds very non standard ill look out for you.
Old 05 July 2002, 11:36 AM
yoza
BANNED

Question

Are these MAF censors prone to failure when useing an induction kit and a re-circulating dump valve?
The reason I ask is,when my car "dumps" it does so through the air filter,so the MAF is getting hit twice?Am i getting the right idea or an i miles off?
Car is MY01 WRX,forge re circ dump valve,g,goode k&n induction kit
Thanks Yoza
Old 05 July 2002, 01:32 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Question

hi yis can someone post a pic of this new MAF part? I know what the sensor looks like but im having trouble visualising (and spelling) this "new" smaller part which is seperate from the housing?

Cheers
Old 05 July 2002, 03:35 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Hello all, well Hol, I drive a silver uk99 with gold 17" Speedlines, Morrettes and Sti rears.

Rally ? It only feels like a rally cos I have a cage, harnessess and no rear seats

Maf on a link car, dont think that you have one (stand to be corrected).

Yoza, I dont think the re-circ actually 'dumps' into the air filter, (although I think there is a crankcase vent which does), I think the re-circ vents into the intake on the crankcase side ???

Also, I dont know much about the later cars and MAF, I think that they are only a prob when they have been contaminated with 'wet' filter oil (and water of course).

Five pint, picture of old MAF will follow, the new MAF sensor is essentially the same as is fitted in the housing that you have fitted.

There are some minor differences with the new part, for example it only has 4 pins where the orig part had 5.

Anyway, dont all get paranoid over MAF sensors, if you have no problems with idle, off boost running etc. then dont worry until it goes wrong (if it goes wrong).

Cheers all, MD (no rally driver).
Old 05 July 2002, 03:47 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Mole... Please uplink,downlink, or whatever you call it, the pictures of the old MAF that we spoke about.

MD.
Old 05 July 2002, 04:11 PM
mole
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 05 July 2002, 04:16 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Mole (s)!!! now one more Q, ive already had the Maf replaced under warranty, and this is the part i collected as in pic... were UK dealers selling this part all along or were they selling the entire housing into which this part (in the pics ) plug into? and how much is the part in the pics?

Cheers

and thx for the pics so quik, appreciate it
Old 06 July 2002, 12:41 AM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Fivepint, I believe up until a little while ago the UK dealers were selling the MAF complete with the housing.

The alleged cost for this was iro £400

To be fair, we (I) dont know if this was because a sensor only option was not available, OR if IM decided that they would not import just the sensor...we just dont know!

The cost for the sensor only is iro £70.

The photos had to come via Mole as he is the computer wizard in our family...I have a two grand lap-top but ask me to do uplink downlink things and its all over! I can get on the internet and write letters, spreadsheets etc. but thats about it.

Cheers for now, MD.

Old 08 July 2002, 09:35 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Cheers Moles Dad, thats all the info i needed much appreciated, i wasnt sure which part the uk dealers were selling, IMHO thats an bloody disgrace that they didnt split the parts... thx again

Cheers