Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Weird engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2002, 08:30 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

When cold my RB5 seems to develop a strange problem when driving. the only way i can describe it is when driving along say 30mph third gear, the car kinda boosts a bit the lets off even though i have my foot in exactly the same position. Its very slight and you can only feel it when driving it really as you are in tune with what the cars doing. I wondered if anyone else has this problem?

Also my clutch/gearbox seems very stiff and crunches in first and fourth everytime its selected no matter how much the clutch is pushed down or how slowly i engage it. First isnt so bad as i can do that v slow and sometimes it goes in no problem.
Old 01 July 2002, 11:33 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think problem number 1 is a part of the 'they all do that sir' syndrome. Look for 'hesitation' here & I think you'll find the symptoms everywhere

No idea about the second one...
Old 01 July 2002, 11:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get the hessitation when cold... seems to disappear after a service ands then return again.. I think it is just to do with the extra fuel injected when cold and such like... as said above "They all do that sir".

I have trouble selecting first, although no crunching when cold.
You could try the Redline gear oil route.. change to redline oil in the gearbox which makes changes slicker.. I will be doing the same when the oil in mine needs replacing as it just occassionally refuses to go in first unless I double clutch it.

JGM
Old 01 July 2002, 05:58 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

As to the first part of your problem, you could be describing my car in the morning MY99UK. Now worse since i had it chiped. Goes away after 2 miles.

As for the gearbox thing i say get it checked

Rottie
Old 01 July 2002, 09:26 PM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input all will definately get the gearbox/clutch sorted out. Yeah my thoughts were that the car was just burning the excess fuel off when cold hence the jerky motion.

thanks again

Gav