Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Turbo Timer Ehh????

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 04:59 PM
Blairc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok folks I need a bit of clarification here, can you tell me the reason for getting a turbo timer, any pro`s or cons and what people think about them?

Any help would be much appreciated

P.S Sorry if this has been done to death.

Cheers.
Old 21 June 2002, 05:20 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Can help stop your turbo seizing/engine popping if you're one to hammer the car & then stop immediately, as it'll keep the engine running for a while (either set manually or by wiring it into various bits of the ECU so that it will adjust itself depending on how hard you've been driving).

One of those things that appear to be a waste of time, but might make all the difference, you just don't know...

If when driving normally you start in town, go cross-country & then end in town, you're probably OK anyway as the pottering about does the same job.

On the other hand, they're not very expensive...

I get the feeling that I'm not being very helpful here I had one on a previous car & was very glad that I did - tiny engine so the turbo ws running most of the time (including quite a bit on the motorway at 'proper' speeds ) so was necessary, I thought. Not so important on the scoob unless you're a bit of a nut
Old 21 June 2002, 07:24 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Just fitted a blitz turbo timer and as already said saves engine. I have always waited a few minutes before switching off to allow engine/turbo to cool. This is advised, never switch engine straight off. Turbo timer keeps wngine running without keys. I only use it outside house or work as car is locked and within eyesight and about 3 metres away. I would never walk away even locked in a strange place with engine running. I believe some insurance co's won't be to impressed as leaving car running is not ideal. On the blitz model the tt is connected to hand brake so if anyone tried to drive the engine cuts when handbrakes comes off. My car auto immobilizes but not alarms (I'm working on that soon) so it's fairly safe once the engine turns off. Clifford do an extra on some alarms which does the same thing so if you need an alarm this may be an option. It also looks nice set into my centre consul, which is nice. Hope a bit of this waffle helps.

Marc
Old 22 June 2002, 10:56 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Marc, you couldn't send a pic of it fitted could you?

Im after one at the mo and not sure which one. I have a MY99 so there's a few spots it would fit. Apexi do a tiny one which might be good...

Ta,

MB

[Edited by Dark Blue Mark - 6/22/2002 10:56:43 AM]
Old 22 June 2002, 11:40 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Some pics here.
Old 22 June 2002, 01:28 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks BuRR,

Who fitted it?

MB
Old 22 June 2002, 06:41 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you all not prefere to sit in the car for a couple of mins and spend your cash else where? It seems expensive when the chances are that you will not leave the car running on it's own, with or without keys. For instance can anybody honestly say they would park up in a pub car park and go get a beer while the Scoob ticks over for a while!

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2002, 07:00 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Still sit in car sometimes but it's a toy and I like toys. You can wait til 20 seconds to go, get out slowly and by the time your sorted car switches off and I alarm it. Mainly though it's a toy.

Marc
Old 22 June 2002, 07:06 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

MB havn't got any pics of the install but car is MY97 and under ashtray there is a black plastic area, I have cut it flush into this, well I didn't do the cutting bit, someone else did but it looks good.

Marc
Old 22 June 2002, 07:57 PM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

The best thing about having a turbo timer, is it stops the temptation to just stop and turn the engine off, when your in a hurry.
There has been lots of occassions when I have been tempted to just turn the timer off and leg it, but then my concience is reminded, why that timer is fitted and I think about my lovely little engine so sense prevails and I wait.
Old 22 June 2002, 08:24 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

And I found it suprising sometimes when it wanted to keep the car going. You don't think you've been pushing it, but the timer knows otherwise & won't let the engine stop.
Also, who doesn't have 30 seconds of faffing once they switch the engine off anyway?
And the clever ones can take 0-60 times n'stuff as well
Old 22 June 2002, 09:36 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Brun,

You can lock the doors, and most decent alarms will activate automatically after the timer cuts the engine.

Most have a handbrake cut on them too.

MB
Old 22 June 2002, 09:39 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I fitted it myself. And yes - the timer runs the engine down, while I put the disklok on, take the stereo out, and remove my BEL550.

Old 22 June 2002, 09:50 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Main two reason I woudlnot fit one :

1) Like its been said I woudl never walk away leaving the engien running

2) What happens if the sensor fails and the car idles until it runs out of fuel . You may have to walk home
Old 25 June 2002, 07:33 PM
juninho
Scooby Regular

Is it true that some Turbo timers remove the Speed limiter on jap import cars???
Old 26 June 2002, 09:32 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

The engine running thing is fine. The alarm should handle things, the immobilisier is still functioning when the engine is running (that does make sense, believe it or not!) and any twitching of the handbrake switches the engine off too. Because of the way round they are wired, the 'sensor' failing (aside from that meaning that the car wouldn't be working properly anyway as the 'sensors' used ar the cars...) would mean that the engine switched off immediately, not keep running. I know - someone trod on one of my not-so-well-positioned cables & it came out (speed sensor) so the thing basically became 'inactive'.
They're pretty safe things.