Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Quiet SS backbox feedback

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 10:01 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Received my downpipe and backbox from SS yesterday...

The quality of both parts is excellent, some may say not as nice looking as the jap stuff, but that isn't always the best indicator. All the welds have good even size fillets, no evidence of oxidization or heat distortion and no undercutting anywhere. All bending is free of distortion, all tube joins are flush internally. Both parts fitted perfectly, and there is no evidence of clashing/knocking.

After doing the downpipe last night, I had an auto centre fit the backbox this morning, so they could sort out the seized bolts.

Looking inside the (quiet) box, I would say that the perforated tube is quite small, about 2 inches, and this has an effect on the sound. As a result if will flow a little less, but be quieter than the standard, so it's not just down to how much wadding went in.

On the car, idle volume, compared to oe bb and ss downpipe, is virtually no different. When blipping the throttle, I would say it is a little louder than the scooby I heard with SS downpipe, magnex res mid secton and PPP world rally back box.

In the car the sound is very nice, I have an estate legacy, so you tend to hear a little more exhuast noise than a saloon, but probably similar to a wagon.

Remember i have an OE centre, with cat, so your mileage may vary, but for those looking for something with better performance than say the PPP downpipe, but less noise than a standard SS or even a Blitz, the Quiet ScoobySport backbox could be the ticket.

Paul
Old 21 June 2002, 10:18 AM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear, as my exhaust setup will be exactly the same as yours by mid next week, on a saloon Impreza. I also have an ITG Pro filter fitted which has already halved the lumpiness at about 3000 rpm in 5th.

I will then add comments to this thread on the difference it makes.
Watch this space!

J
Old 21 June 2002, 10:22 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have an ITG filter, which along with the zorst and boost gauge are my only mods, for now (boost gauge worth 5hp at least).

Paul