Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes yet again!

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 10:07 PM
António Correia Jr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, this has been covered many times before, but someone (myself this time) always gets back to this topic.

Actually, I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who has just acquired the highly regarded Dawes Device Boost Controller, but unfortunately he is unable to understand English.

I have checked dawesdevices.com, but I could not find an e-mail, so I ask for your comments on this:

1 - The device will be installed on a MY98 with a three port solenoid.
2 - We are going to take the Diagram-B approach, inserting the device between the wastegate and the turbo nipple.

Questions:

a) What to do with the two original lines that are connected to the solenoid? Is it possible to remove the solenoid and the other line to the intake? Or do we connect the two original lines as I've seen someone suggesting?

b) The pipe included in the kit seems rather soft. Any reported problems of it expanding with heat?

c) How does the ECU cope without the solenoid / crippled solenoid? Won't error codes be generated?

That's it!

Comments, please

Thanks in advance,

António Correia Jr.
Old 18 June 2002, 10:58 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Hi Antonio

Please feel from to contact me as we are Europes Sole Dawes Distributor.

Please follow diagram B and block the solenoid hose with a screw or golf tee. - This methods virtually eliminates boost spike.

We have had no problems with the high quality silicon hoses.

No faults have been reported, the ECU copes well and doesn't even notice the fact the solenoid is redundant.

If you need anymore help please contact me or look at the comprehensive guide on our site.

Who is your friend?

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com

Old 19 June 2002, 09:06 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

look here scroll down to John Banks' "Drivetrain FAQ"

I've also put the same on my site here
Old 19 June 2002, 10:14 PM
António Correia Jr
Scooby Regular

Thank you both for your replies

I think I've discovered the source of our problem. The instrucions refer to this T-piece:

However, my friends car does not have this setup. Instead, he has a direct hose from the wastegate input to the solenoid and another independent hose from the turbo nipple to the solenoid (I gather this is the 3-port solenoid, and not the 2-port).

My car is being serviced at the moment, so I cannot tell if my setup is the same, but I do know he has replaced the solenoid some time ago.

If I understand correctly, my friend has to block the two hoses that are left loose with bolts.

Jamie,

I do not think you know my friend - Fernando Almeida -, as he asked a common friend to buy the Dawes for him (again, the language barrier). I cannot confirm this, but being your firm the sole distributor for Europe, I'm guessing you may have sold a kit recently to Portugal. If this works well, I think we'll have more members from the portuguese impreza club interested

Cheers,

António Correia Jr.
www.imprezapt.cjb.net
Old 19 June 2002, 11:55 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Antonio

That sounds good to me!

I think I know exactly who you mean.

Speak to you soon!

Jamie