Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Pre-98 rear diff to replace 2002 open diff

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2016, 11:16 PM
vascorama
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-98 rear diff to replace 2002 open diff

Howdy all, my 2002 bugeye wrx turbo has open front and rear diffs.

I was talking to my mechanic, but since we are far away he couldnīt explain me well, also he is not the type of guy that knows all the terms and designations, he just knows.

I was telling him i needed to improve my rear because the car understeers too much, and among other stuff one thing he sugest was to fit a pre-98 diff on my car.

He told me that prior to 98 rear diffs where not open, but subaru dropped it because people where spinning...it was not as forgiving as my open diffs setup.

He couldnīt explain me what type of diff it is though, and i would like some info on that to decide if i will or will not fit it.

Is it vlsd or clutch type or some other type(forgive me for my ignorance)?

T
Old 14 February 2016, 01:12 AM
vascorama
Scooby Newbie

I have an issue here, looked for help but so far got close to 0...
Iīll try to briefly explain my situation.

I have a mt5 bugeye wrx turbo(not sti), and i believe i have an open diff on the back because:
- mine behaves like car number one of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRREY9uw8E when i guess it should behave like car number 2 of the same video.
- If i put the car on stands, i spin 1 rear wheel, and the opposite wheel spins the other way
- If i launch with 2 wheels(front and rear) on tarmac and 2 on gravel, only the wheels on gravel spin.

So iīve come to the point of thinking i really have an open diff. I dunno if it came like that from factory or if it was the previous owner that fitted it like that.

Now i have the car on a shop where they have loads of stuff, and the mechanic told me the pre-98 gt classics had some kind of diff lock on the rear, and that he has some of those diffs in stock.

The problem is that he canīt explain me too well because he is more of a "letīs go guy", and not very "technical terms guy". Internet info is scarse on this...and the shop is too far away for me to fit something, regret and get back there...

I really want a rear diff lock of any kind will be better than open as it is, but another question is, what happens if the ratio is different? Will it damage the center diff?

I need you help m8īs
Thank you
Old 15 February 2016, 08:27 AM
staaf
Scooby Regular

I have a MY96 GT Classic, but also have an open diff on the back (actually all around)
As far as I know their are just a few STi's who have a locking diff.