Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Possible Clutch failure? Sound file attached!

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2015, 10:20 PM
Nick Francis
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Possible Clutch failure? Sound file attached!

Hi
I've done some searching and looked at a few posts but not found anything so was wondering if anyone could help.

Noticed over the last few weeks that I'm getting some odd noises from the engine bay. Initially thought it was my power steering belt being a bit loose - sounded like that sort of slipping, but checked that and it's perfectly fine.

Starting to wonder if my clutch is going. Drove for about 4 hours today (not non-stop) and noticed that it is definitely harder to change gear - particularly getting it into 1st is taking a bit of effort.

Also, the noise is there when the car is either in neutral, or I'm moving slowly and the clutch is partially engaged.

I've recorded the engine noises - the link below is to the file. It was recorded from inside the car. First of all is the car ticking over in neutral, then 5 seconds of silence, and then the sound that I am hearing. It's not restricted to any particular gear. This was when the car was in 3rd and clutch pedal was fully pressed down.

Car.wav
(can be played directly in browser)

It's just flown through it's MOT, it's a 99 reg with 168,000 on the clock and don't think the clutch has ever been touched. This time last year I took the gearbox apart and replaced the diff and not had any issues in that department since.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Nick