Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox stuck on 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2014, 07:08 PM
jussik
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox stuck on 2nd.

Hello everyone, my first post to SN, and straight to a mystery problem.

I have a MY00 WRX/GT, to which i recently swapped a v6 sti gearbox and diff.
Before installing the transmission, i opened up the box to make sure its in ok condition. Also changed a few bearings while at it, the front diff cheek bearings + pinion shaft needle bearings if that matters. Otherwise the box looked top notch.

It worked splendid for about 700miles, until last weekend when i came home and begun park the car. I reversed for about 5 meters, then put in 1st gear and went forward for a couple of meters, after this i tried to put it back to reverse, but nothing.

Gearstick moves around neutral and goes in to 5th and reverse, but nowhere else. Yet still when stick is at neutral position and i lift clutch, the car moves forward. And when in 5th or reverse, the car stalls when i lift clutch, so i think its trying to put on 2 gears at the same time.

After some googleing, i found some old thread at Nasioc about someone having similar problem.

Heres a photo what had happened to him. Somehow the gear selector jumps out of 1st and 2nd shifter and is only able to move on the other two shifter rails.

Could this be what happened to my car? Im going to open the box soon just to make sure, but if this is the case, how do i prevent it doing it again? I did install every part back to the box, but is it possible that it was missing something in the first place?

Thanks in advance and sorry about possible grammar mistakes, english is my second language.