Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

gearbox syncro replacement help ! diy !

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2014, 08:44 PM
landyhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox syncro replacement help ! diy !

hi guys , google ( or my brain ) has failed me on this one , after loosing first gear and having a notchy second I seem to have a syncro failed ( very sudden ) , I have removed and stripped the gearbox , there is a problem with the syncro area and by hand the selector will not slide into first it just stops before engaging onto first gear dog teeth , my problem is I have the shaft out but cannot work out how to remove first gear there seems to be a collar over the front of it ( pinion removed ) , the rest of the shaft seems to be cast so it must come off the front? does anyone have any diagrams or helpful links to removing gears off that shaft? mines a 2006 hawkeye sport ( on profile pic) cheers
Old 20 December 2014, 08:17 PM
mechanix
Scooby Regular

First gear comes off the shaft at the fifth gear end..Press off 5th gear after removing the big nut and then press off 3rd and 4th with the large bearing...Then you can remove 1st and 2nd gear from the shaft....easy..lol..you will need a decent hydraulic press and a collar to wrap round fifth to get it off. Enjoy...
Old 20 December 2014, 08:21 PM
landyhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

hi mate , funny enough just done it today ,what confused me was 3rd and 4th? gears were a solid piece with the speedo drive in the middle , did not realise this was not part of the shaft , however she is now done and back in the car so hopefully I wont have to touch it again , my first gearbox strip and rebuild my college helped with the pressing of the shafts and gears as I don't have that tooling , the rest was done at my bosses workshop ( apprentice )