Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

noise from gearbox, goes when pedal pressed?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2014, 01:30 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default noise from gearbox, goes when pedal pressed?

hi lads, after some advice. i have a bug sti and decided to get the gearbox and diff oil done as i had no idea when it was last done. went to pick up car from my mechanic and he said as i pulled off the ramps that he could hear a noise coming from the car. i drove off the ramps and he asked me to dip the clutch pedal which i did and the noise went away and came back when let up. he said he thinks its the bearings? this surprised me as i thought the 6 speed was a strong box. so anything else it could be? clutch is a bit smelly if rode on a hill for too long as well but paperwork with the car said clutch was done at 68 thou and its now on 88k. the car pulls fine and doesnt slip when "on it" and isnt crunching etc. anything else it could be? thrust bearing etc? thanks for any ideas.
Old 11 October 2014, 03:19 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

boing!
Old 11 October 2014, 03:24 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the receipt for the clutch and see if it says thrust bearing.

It's a common mistake not to change them. My money is on that being the problem.
Old 11 October 2014, 06:46 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks for replying m8. any chance of damaging anything until its changed? im guessing its a box off job which would mean doing the clutch as well ?
Old 11 October 2014, 07:05 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
Look at the receipt for the clutch and see if it says thrust bearing.

It's a common mistake not to change them. My money is on that being the problem.
+1

why oh why people dont replace them when doing a clutch is beyond me-they are not exactly expensive
Old 11 October 2014, 07:46 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

yeah have to agree seen laterals deal for a pink box with the thrust bearing and its not bad at all. bit more expensive with the lightened flywheel tho.
Old 11 October 2014, 07:57 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

It's your gear box bearings, if the noise disappears with the clutch pedal depressed it's because the input shaft is no longer being driven. Release bearings usually only make a noise when the pedal is depressed which is when the bearing is under load. Six speeds are far stronger than five speeds but are not indestructible, mine needed a full rebuild a couple of years ago, early six speeds seem to suffer more problems than later ones too.
Old 11 October 2014, 09:05 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

hmmm. that sounds ominous as i was about to get a remap with andy f next month. im guessing putting more power through it isnt the best idea then. maybe have to mail andy and put it on hold for the moment.
Old 11 October 2014, 09:14 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
hmmm. that sounds ominous as i was about to get a remap with andy f next month. im guessing putting more power through it isnt the best idea then. maybe have to mail andy and put it on hold for the moment.
Depends how bad the bearings are, some run for years like that, what power are you planning? Check the oil level first as it may have settled & now be low, also consider a different brand or grade of oil to help things. Any problems selecting gears or crunching or knocking noises when selecting gears?
Old 12 October 2014, 09:15 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

there is a slight noise going from 5th down to fourth,hard to describe not a crunch as such but a noise for sure. i was going to put in redline shockproof wish i had now lol. will check the level again this morning as it was only done last week and may have settled a bit low now. power wise i was hoping for maybe 330 or whatever the vf35 wants to give with ported headers and induction to go on as well. paperwork with the car said remapped to 300bhp by andy back in 2002 when the car was new but thats a long time ago so wanted to get her mapped to make sure all was ok and maybe gain a few more ponies as well.