Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust volume

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2002, 11:36 AM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've kind of asked this before but am now getting close to buying a Magnex BB and decatted mid section without resonator. I won't be replacing the DP.

How much will the noise level rise with the above two items because I do a lot of motorway driving and don't want an intruding exhaust noise that will make me and the passengers deaf? I don't mind the noise at low speed or under heavy acceleration, in fact I want it, but there have been a few posts recently saying that they have to shout to their passengers to maintain a conversation. I'm not sure whether they had a DP or not.

Basically, I want something that has roughly the same noise as the standard one on motorways. Should I go for the mid section with resonator?

I've listened to a Magnex sound file but don't think this was from inside the car, at crusing speed and whether it had a DP.
J

[Edited by jamesjones - 5/30/2002 11:38:25 AM]
Old 30 May 2002, 12:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The trouble with this kind of question is the amount of noise is a very subjective thing. Personally, I think that a full decat on the old shape is way too loud for motorway cruising but there are loads of people on here who do not.

From what you have said though, to get quiet motorway cruising, you should get a PPP/WR Sport BB rather than the Magnex (but the Magnex is the next choice in the noise stakes) coupled with a Magnex centre with Resonator.

Matt
Old 30 May 2002, 03:43 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I totally agree with Matt on this one - the PPP BB is about as noisy as I can manage on the motorway. The Remus is better, but doesn't make a good noise even under acceleration. All subjective, of course!