Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

ABP Motorsport - Any suggestions ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 07:10 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABP Motorsport - Any suggestions ?

Few months ago, bought prodrive springs from Holdcroft Subaru and had them fitted at ABP along with fast road geometry.
Noise from back originated straight away, so took it back a few weeks later to see if they had done anything wrong. They said they hadn't.
I put it down to the usual fault on NSR suspension (to which it could well be). Shortly after, the front started clunking at slow speeds. This has got worse so my car went into Holdcroft today for the rear topmount mod and to find the fault at the front. They said that they need to strip it down to see if the springs have been fitted correctly, but if they haven't (by ABP), I will have to pay for the labour. I agreed and took a courtesy car to work.
They rang later and told me that the springs had been fitted incorrectly and suggested stripping the rear down to check that also. I agreed and rang ABP to tell them of my dissatisfaction.
I got Holdcroft to speak to ABP to explain the problem then ABP rang me back. They said that the suspension may have twisted on its own accord and because I never took it back to them (ABP) to have the workmanship checked on the front, they would not accept responsibility. If I had of done that and the springs were fitted correctly, then I would of had to pay that labour bill also, so it was a 50/50 gamble at my expense no matter who checked it.
So, I have told ABP that I will never use their services again, but now I have a bill of over £200 for Subaru labour to rectify the fault not to mention any damage that may of resulted. Do I take it any further to recover my money from ABP ???

Any advice on this matter would be apreciated

PS the top mount mod was done first and appears to have solved the noise (temporary or permanent remains to be seen)

Thanks

P***ed off Neil
Old 30 June 2004, 07:27 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

I have had dealings with ABP there attitude and customer care stinks I would not give them another penny. They made ****e of my suspension settings and when i phoned to enquie they tried to book me in for further work at my expense 4 weeks down the line.
Prosport is only 15mins further and they definatly dont have the dont give a sh@t attitude ive got your money that ABP have.
This is just my experience im sure others must be happy as they have been going for some time.
Jamie

Originally Posted by Woody1
Few months ago, bought prodrive springs from Holdcroft Subaru and had them fitted at ABP along with fast road geometry.
Noise from back originated straight away, so took it back a few weeks later to see if they had done anything wrong. They said they hadn't.
I put it down to the usual fault on NSR suspension (to which it could well be). Shortly after, the front started clunking at slow speeds. This has got worse so my car went into Holdcroft today for the rear topmount mod and to find the fault at the front. They said that they need to strip it down to see if the springs have been fitted correctly, but if they haven't (by ABP), I will have to pay for the labour. I agreed and took a courtesy car to work.
They rang later and told me that the springs had been fitted incorrectly and suggested stripping the rear down to check that also. I agreed and rang ABP to tell them of my dissatisfaction.
I got Holdcroft to speak to ABP to explain the problem then ABP rang me back. They said that the suspension may have twisted on its own accord and because I never took it back to them (ABP) to have the workmanship checked on the front, they would not accept responsibility. If I had of done that and the springs were fitted correctly, then I would of had to pay that labour bill also, so it was a 50/50 gamble at my expense no matter who checked it.
So, I have told ABP that I will never use their services again, but now I have a bill of over £200 for Subaru labour to rectify the fault not to mention any damage that may of resulted. Do I take it any further to recover my money from ABP ???

Any advice on this matter would be apreciated

PS the top mount mod was done first and appears to have solved the noise (temporary or permanent remains to be seen)

Thanks

P***ed off Neil
Old 30 June 2004, 09:19 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Which way to Prosport ? I live in Warrington

Cheers
Old 01 July 2004, 07:58 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Got my car back off Subaru today.
The findings were that 3 of the four springs were fitted incorrectly. The topmounts were offset by 45 degrees from correct position.

I rang ABP and told them this and reminded them that I had brought the car back a month or so ago to check that they had fitted the rear springs correctly and they told me they had. At no point during my wait did I see the suspension dropped so I do not believe a thorough examination was conducted.

I accepted that in hindsight I should of took the car back to them to check the front, but suspected mechanical problem, not incorrect fitment of the springs to be the cause of the front clunking sound. This is why I went to Subaru. Phsycic powers are not my strong point.

I asked them to pay half of my Subaru bill today which came to £211. He said he would have to speak to his boss.

I rang back later and he told me that he would only refund £50 as this would cover the cost of them not finding the fault on the rear. I told them that this was not acceptable and would be posting a message on the web as to the outcome.

In summary, they wrongly fitted 3 springs which has cost me £211 and will only accept responsibility for the rear. I accept people make mistakes, but when they do, I expect them to own up and take responsibility, not fob you off. It is the poor after service, not the mistake that has led me to write this message.

My advice is not to go to ABP for suspension modifications to an STI as they are clearly not competent at dealing with this vehicle, or capable of conducting adequate diagnotstics or customer service there after a mistake has been made. This is despite the mechanic who worked on my car owning an Impreza !
Old 02 July 2004, 01:34 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Woody - check THIS site. ABP are members of Cheshire Council's "Golden Spanner" scheme, which is run by Trading Standards. If you browse through the site, there's a section about minimum levels of service, or summat. There should also be a section on making complaints.

Used ABP a while back for servicing and geometry setup. No complaints, other than they put EBC Greenstuffs up front.

Kev
Old 02 July 2004, 07:52 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

I have submitted a complaint to the 'Golden Spanner' thingyo. Will wait to see what happens.

Cheers

Neil
Old 02 July 2004, 09:34 PM
steve_g
Scooby Regular

When I had my CTR I had the ABP fast road setup done. It was a 160 mile round trip and when I got home onto slower local roads there was a knocking coming from the suspension.

I phoned ABP and arranged to take the vehicle back to them to diagnose the problem. One of the rubber top mounts had slipped out of position when they'd had the car in the air.

I complained to Chris their manager asking for him to at least reimburse me for my petrol and all he offered was £15 off my next purchase.

Needless to say I didn't purchase anything else from them and I certainly won't be letting them loose on my STI.
Old 03 July 2004, 12:31 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Take it to Prosport in Stockport http://www.prosport.ltd.uk/tel 0161 432 9999

Top Garage
Old 06 July 2004, 09:20 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

I will try these for my next service.

Thanks