Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Help Desperately Required

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2001, 09:30 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My vehicle recently caught fire because some brain-dead moron, thinly disguised as a Toad approved alarm installer turned it into a self igniting firework. (See the my car section on my site)
Old 20 February 2001, 09:49 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Old 20 February 2001, 10:12 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Actually, I picked up most of the parts from Central Subaru on Monday.

I am down to the speedo pod. I will search for Grade A.

Thanks

Steve
Old 20 February 2001, 11:08 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Steve,

Just seen the pics on the website Sorry to see this...

What the hell happened to cause this ??

Sorry I can't help with the parts. Hope you get the STi back on the road soon.

Scott
Old 20 February 2001, 11:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your 'dilemma'....

I've got a m8 who works at a local Subaru breakers. If you want me to ask him, let me know.....

email me (it's in the profile)

Dan
Old 21 February 2001, 08:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've only seen the photos, so only have one side of the story, but...

<B>THAT INSTALLER SHOULD BE SHOT!</B>

Wires across the intercooler, wires through the aircon grommet chafing on the side, knackered alarm loom, no protection on wires, not running through the door loom but just "yeehaw"ing the wires out of the side...

It's a catalogue of installation "no-no"s and I wouldn't believe you'd manage to get them all in one place.

Suggest that unless Toad pay, you take legal advice. That looks like negligence to me, evidenced by the rest of the install.

I've got a friend who's an installer - I'll send him the link to see what he thinks...

Toad really should be ashamed to have their name anywhere near that sort of install and should want the situation resolved, and site removed, ASAP!

Nick.
Old 21 February 2001, 06:39 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

I sincerely hope you are right.

I have more photos to post yet. As I am stripping the car down I am taking more photos. It was a crap installation. How do you know until you start looking in more detail, removing insulating tape and seeing wires all wound up together, scotch connectors and the like!! How many other cars have similar workmanship. Oh yeah, and the brain for the alarm should be bolted inside a metal box and fiixed to the bulkhead. Mine was inside the box with three turns of insulating tape round it and thrown behind the glove box. Some deterrent!!

By the way, the verdict on the cause of the fire and the fuses being removed from the loom, along with poor installation etc. came from a Toad Innovations installer that I called out to review the wreckage. He also documented it. (And he wanted to charge me £39 for callout).

The thing is although AID (Auto Installations Direct) were an approved Toad installer, Toad say that only means they pay them a yearly subscription for the privilege of fitting Toad alarms, not that Toad have any responsibility for the job they do.

I know that Ford Motor Company changed a car for me because of problems, they didn't refer me to the dealer. They called it customer care.

In this case AID have disappeared! Toad will only say that they don't do installations for them any more.

I am about to write to Toad with as much documented evidence as I have.

In the mean time the website will be modified with the story comments and descriptions for the photos. I have spoken to a solicitor who thinks I have an excellent case. I don't care what it takes I want some justice.

Hell hath no fury like a Scooby owner-burned!!

Old 21 February 2001, 06:46 PM
SteveG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

By the way, I don't know if the people from Toad know that this site exists (Scoobynet), but they will do after they receive my letter and they might be able to see how responsible car owners feel when they have had a bad experience at the hands of somebody that is supposed to be a professional. Thanks for the supportive comments and the more the merrier!!

Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveG (edited 21 February 2001).]
Old 21 February 2001, 06:51 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Obviously I've only heard one side of the story..but that is appalling. I nearly used a toad approved installer for my Cat 1 on my MY00. There but for the grace of god and all that... Good luck in your quest for justice!
Old 22 February 2001, 08:20 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yes, scoobynet is quite powerful. There was one incident that sticks in my mind from last year involving a 22b that lead to people changing their opinion of a place...

Scoobys need alarms, as do Cosworths and all the other performance car marques that read this board. Toad do not want the bad publicity.

Don't forget What Car? run a helpdesk, as do other magazines too. You may want to write to them.

Nick.