Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

chipped ps3 anyone done it yet

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2010, 04:00 PM
porky_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chipped ps3 anyone done it yet

as title has any one got theres done i can get all the stuff to do mine with about 100games on a hdd just wondered if anyone has been succesfull on here doin it
Old 16 September 2010, 04:15 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

I don't see the point unless you intend to never play online again? Sony have already fixed the hole, so if you want to play online, you have to take the update.

Geezer
Old 16 September 2010, 05:01 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Won't be long till custom firmware will be written now the sdk has been leaked
Old 16 September 2010, 05:15 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I noticed that PS3 games were suddenly appearing all over the torrent sites and I guess this is why. I didn't realise it had been (finally) hacked.

So the hack is redundant already?
Old 16 September 2010, 11:18 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

im so tempted by this I might even buy another console just for online play and keep my current ps3 for single player games and homebrew (when released)

Problem is what happens when newer games force you to update before you can play them?

the new 3.50 firmware will have 3D goodys included

all info here http://www.ps3hax.net/
Old 16 September 2010, 11:33 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Problem is what happens when newer games force you to update before you can play them?
How's it gonna force you to update if you are not online? Or do you mean a game will only play on a PS3 that is 3.60 higher or whatever?

Geezer
Old 16 September 2010, 11:58 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I should be expecting delivery of two minimus USB boards, so I can apply the hack.
I have two PS3's, a 500gb fat and 250gb slim, and I have never played online, or have any plans to.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:01 AM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by Geezer
How's it gonna force you to update if you are not online? Or do you mean a game will only play on a PS3 that is 3.60 higher or whatever?

Geezer
I remember taking my MW2 game round to my mates and his ps3 hadnt been online for over a year the game had a update on it and had to be at that firmware of higher to play. unless that forced update is bypassed your screwed for new games

I beleve fifa 11 is firmware 3.41 so thats ok

so this new usb dongle chip thingy is great for all games 3.41 and below so should keep people busy for a while but as yet you cant go online with it

I think some of the x box boys have 2 consoles one for online and one for single player games

Last edited by scoobyverysoon; 17 September 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:02 AM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I should be expecting delivery of two minimus USB boards, so I can apply the hack.
I have two PS3's, a 500gb fat and 250gb slim, and I have never played online, or have any plans to.

which 500gb did you put in your ps3?
Old 17 September 2010, 12:06 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

This one from ebuyerhttp://www.ebuyer.com/product/194726
Not had any issues with it, not the "Iplayer freeze" as people mention
Old 17 September 2010, 12:25 AM
scoobyverysoon

This one from ebuyerhttp://www.ebuyer.com/product/194726
Not had any issues with it, not the "Iplayer freeze" as people mention
is 500gb the most you can put in the ps3

I have a 500gb external drive but the transfer rate is pants going through usb rather then internal
Old 17 September 2010, 12:55 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

No you can put more in, but at the time that was one of the more affordable big ones. Shortly after I got that, samsung brought out their 640gb for only 45 quid.
Not sure what the limit is, but I don't even think you can get 1TB 2.5 inch drives yet.
If your external is a portable one (usb powered, no AC adapter), it will probably fit in your PS3, just a matter of opening up the case.
Old 17 September 2010, 01:16 PM
porky_wrx
Scooby Regular

how much did they set u back i can get everything but looking at paying £150 for dongle and a 1.5tb hdd with 100 games on it

is 500gb the most you can put in the ps3

I have a 500gb external drive but the transfer rate is pants going through usb rather then internal
another forum im on sells external 1.5tb loaded ready with games
Old 17 September 2010, 04:35 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by porky_wrx
how much did they set u back i can get everything but looking at paying £150 for dongle and a 1.5tb hdd with 100 games on it

another forum im on sells external 1.5tb loaded ready with games

can you link me as ive not seen anyone flogging them

im looking at getting this one http://www.volumerates.com/product/p...and-slim-91737

there also on fleabay for about 35 quid
Old 17 September 2010, 04:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

In all honesty I would wait to see what the plan is wheter you can flash higher fw for the future with these USB dongles .
Old 17 September 2010, 04:49 PM
scoobyverysoon

No you can put more in, but at the time that was one of the more affordable big ones. Shortly after I got that, samsung brought out their 640gb for only 45 quid.
Not sure what the limit is, but I don't even think you can get 1TB 2.5 inch drives yet.
If your external is a portable one (usb powered, no AC adapter), it will probably fit in your PS3, just a matter of opening up the case.

this looks ok http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031M9JC...SIN=B0031M9JCE

cant find anything bigger that will fit
Old 17 September 2010, 05:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I don't think games will run off the internal hdd afaik
Old 17 September 2010, 05:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I did it with the xbox years ago and you end up with loads of games and hardly play any, It would mean having 2 consoles so you can have one for online and one for trying games
Old 17 September 2010, 10:11 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by antc
I don't think games will run off the internal hdd afaik

100% off all dumped games work off the internal harddrive like god of war 3 (its a massive 40 gig in size) that wont run of external drive theres also a few others that wont run from a external drive.

also theres a file size limit on external drives anything above 4 gig in size the ps3 cant read it for some reason but the internal drive is fine as its formatted with sonys structure
Old 19 September 2010, 08:00 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm trying to do one of mine at the min. I have two PS3's so one is kept up to date with Sony's current Firmware and one now stays at 3.41. Custom firmwares will start to appear as Ant says so future games, 3D etc will covered there. Just no online play. I wouldn't pay £80 or whatever it is for the dongle though. You can make your own dongle for about £25. I'm trying to do it for free by using my phone, but haven't had much luck yet. I've flashed the PSFreedom enabled Kernal to my phone, but it freezes on boot and the exploit doesn't work. I then have to flash a recovery image back to my phone to get it working again.
Old 19 September 2010, 09:00 AM
porky_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I'm trying to do one of mine at the min. I have two PS3's so one is kept up to date with Sony's current Firmware and one now stays at 3.41. Custom firmwares will start to appear as Ant says so future games, 3D etc will covered there. Just no online play. I wouldn't pay £80 or whatever it is for the dongle though. You can make your own dongle for about £25. I'm trying to do it for free by using my phone, but haven't had much luck yet. I've flashed the PSFreedom enabled Kernal to my phone, but it freezes on boot and the exploit doesn't work. I then have to flash a recovery image back to my phone to get it working again.
I can get them around £40 so not worth me trying to make one price due to come down next week though
Old 19 September 2010, 09:24 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% off all dumped games work off the internal harddrive like god of war 3 (its a massive 40 gig in size) that wont run of external drive theres also a few others that wont run from a external drive.

also theres a file size limit on external drives anything above 4 gig in size the ps3 cant read it for some reason but the internal drive is fine as its formatted with sonys structure

Sony use "old" FAT32(which allow no bigger files than 4gb),if you put your "backup" games on NTFS external HDD easiest way its convert from NTFS to FAT32,which allow you play all your games from external HDD
Old 19 September 2010, 11:05 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Think I have it working on my phone (HTC Hero), will test it later to see. What I was doing before was flashing an update.zip that had the psfreedom kernal. That kept freezing, so I got ADB up and running and got the files I needed. Problem I had then is that when I tried to fastboot the zimage file I have, it kept saying failed remote not allow?? So what I've done now is just flashed a recovery image that has the psfreedom stuff enabled. So hopefully all I have to do is reboot my phone into recovery mode and the exploit should work.

Edit: Here a list of sites I read through to get to this stage incase anyone is interested:

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...rookies-18124/
http://developer.android.com/guide/d...tools/adb.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=561124
http://psfreedom.com/wiki/HTC_Hero

The last site contains links and stuff to find ways to do it on other phones, all the files you need should be there too.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 19 September 2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added links
Old 19 September 2010, 11:21 AM
scoobyverysoon

Ive ordered a ps3 break off fleabay (£39.00) from a trusted source and ive ordered a 640gb internal harddrive (£45), I had £50 in amazon vouchers to use so I also bought a caddy (£7.00) to reuse the old ps3 40gb Harddrive as more space.

the scene is moving fast now with homebrew being ported like the snes emulator (still early yet but it runs) also that new file manager looks promising as does the custom firmware loader.

if need be I will just get another ps3 for online play as theres only the odd game I play online with.
Old 19 September 2010, 12:20 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of being able to run homebrew, emulators and stuff straight from the drive. I've no interest in downloading games, but being able to run all my old PSX and PS2 games straight from a hard drive will be great. I know you can run PSX games from there already, but I'm talking about ripping the ones I already own and not buying them again from PSN. Or even use stuff over remote play while at work
Old 19 September 2010, 05:06 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

@Saint AAI, I considered using my HTC hero, but didn't want to wipe it when trying to root. But then I thought, I'd rather not have my phone tied up with my PS3 whilst I'm on it.
Glad to hear someone has it working though.
I'm only after some decent appz and homebrew. I honestly hardly use my PS3 for games, even though I have two of them.
Would like a DIVX app to rip all my DVDs/BD's to the HDD.
Old 20 September 2010, 12:52 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

It doesn't tie up the phone. When I need to run the xploit I just reboot my phone into recovery, plug it into the PS3, turn the PS3 on at the switch, then press the power on button followed by the eject button. I'm not sure on the exact timing of the eject button press so I just keep pressing it until I see the PS3 dash. Then I can just reboot my phone again and unplug it. The PS returns to normal if you turn it off and on again. I can't do much with it at the mo though. The Playstation I've done it on was an original 60Gb version, with nothing other than saved games on there I've only got 18Gb free space left. Tried to put Oblivion onto the Hdd, but it seems to run out of space?
Old 26 September 2010, 10:01 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I got two USB AVR boards now, but my set my Hero up then just in case.

Spent most of the weekend backing up my own discs on to both my PS3's. Was fairly painless.
Old 26 September 2010, 11:07 PM
scoobyverysoon

I got two USB AVR boards now, but my set my Hero up then just in case.

Spent most of the weekend backing up my own discs on to both my PS3's. Was fairly painless.

yeah ive done the same but ive got the ps3 break

I was looking at getting the same as you from here http://www.modtraders.co.uk/minimus-...ent-board.html theres a case due out soon for them how have you found them easy to use flash etc

my ps3break is PIC non updatable hence the reason im looking at the AVR boards
Old 27 September 2010, 08:17 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My dads just bought the ps3 yes board, $32.99 and it's updateable.

Quick Reply: chipped ps3 anyone done it yet