Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MKV to avi converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2013, 08:52 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MKV to avi converter?

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of MKV files I want to convert to avi so we can watch them on our TV. I've downloaded 3 converters, but 2 put watermarks over the pic and the other was full of malware. Can anyone recomend a very easy to use and cheap (free as FREE) converter please?

Thanks

Lee
Old 02 February 2013, 10:07 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

If your television/player plays MPG files, then download MKV2VOB - free and very good

Or give Handbrake a go?
Old 02 February 2013, 12:26 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Not sure if our player plays Mpg files, i know mp4 files dont work (I am abit of a ludite) Sorry, ingorance showing again, whats Handbrake?
Thanks mate
Old 02 February 2013, 01:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Handbrake is worth a shot
Old 02 February 2013, 04:54 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I've used Handbrake for years and never had a problem .
Old 02 February 2013, 04:58 PM
billyrogers
Scooby Regular

i used handbrake to convert to mp4. does it do avi aswell?
Old 02 February 2013, 05:26 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

This might help
http://www.winxdvd.com/blog/how-to-c...ake-100916.htm
Old 02 February 2013, 07:15 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone. Dowloaded handbreak but only seems to convert to mp4 but still thought it was worth converting to watch on laptop (and will try linking bluray player to the net, might be able to play mp4 files with more software?). 2 hours of conversion down, 10 hours to go :-s
Old 02 February 2013, 09:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I always prefer avs4you as it converts everything and you can pick a format you want.
Old 02 February 2013, 10:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown
Thanks everyone. Dowloaded handbreak but only seems to convert to mp4 but still thought it was worth converting to watch on laptop (and will try linking bluray player to the net, might be able to play mp4 files with more software?). 2 hours of conversion down, 10 hours to go :-s
Seems current version dropped the AVI option, you could download an earlier version (try two versions ago) which should have the option in it.

Does the blu-ray player have built in DLNA support? If so then you could grab something like Plex or XBMC and enable the DLNA server within it. You can then setup the software to find your media files. Switch to the Blu-Ray player and it should display Plex / XBMC as an available source for watching movies.

My LG BP620 is DLNA compliant and I've been doing the above (well, not with Plex, it won't work with that, but will with XBMC, Serviio, Nero Home Media Essentials 4, iSedora and a few other DLNA servers) to watch media. Interface of the player isn't great, but it does work. It's streaming the files and NOT transcoding them, which is great too.
Old 02 February 2013, 11:33 PM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I always prefer avs4you as it converts everything and you can pick a format you want.
I tried avs4you, but the free version puts a watermark accross the picture.

Originally Posted by Markus
Seems current version dropped the AVI option, you could download an earlier version (try two versions ago) which should have the option in it.

Does the blu-ray player have built in DLNA support? If so then you could grab something like Plex or XBMC and enable the DLNA server within it. You can then setup the software to find your media files. Switch to the Blu-Ray player and it should display Plex / XBMC as an available source for watching movies.

My LG BP620 is DLNA compliant and I've been doing the above (well, not with Plex, it won't work with that, but will with XBMC, Serviio, Nero Home Media Essentials 4, iSedora and a few other DLNA servers) to watch media. Interface of the player isn't great, but it does work. It's streaming the files and NOT transcoding them, which is great too.
thanks Markus, but I really am a ludite and thats gone right over my head!! The bluray player can be connected to the net, though we've never done it, but what happens from there, not a clue mate

Thanks very much for all of this help though guys!!
Old 03 February 2013, 02:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I tried avs4you, but the free version puts a watermark accross the picture.

thanks Markus, but I really am a ludite and thats gone right over my head!! The bluray player can be connected to the net, though we've never done it, but what happens from there, not a clue mate

Thanks very much for all of this help though guys!!
Ok, got the player model number? If so post it up and I'll see if it supports DLNA, I'm going to guess it might well do, as that is typically why most are network enabled.

Usually you can access certain "apps", for example, my LG player has access to weather apps, youtube and netflix apps. In addition, when I go to play a movie, it will allow me to select a "server", if it sees one on the network. This server is where the DLNA server thing (plex, xbmc and other apps) comes into play. Think of it as you have a "server" which holds your media files, and your player is a "client" that will stream the media from the server.
Old 03 February 2013, 08:57 AM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

Freemake is excellent (and free) for this sort of thing... No watermarks either.
Old 03 February 2013, 09:51 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus, its a Panasonic DMP-BD45. It sounds as if we really arent using out player anywhere near its potenital!!!
Old 03 February 2013, 10:09 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

Thanks too Rob, gicing freemake a try, seems to be going ok, been looking forward to seeing Django Unchained all week and not been able to lol
Old 03 February 2013, 02:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus, its a Panasonic DMP-BD45. It sounds as if we really arent using out player anywhere near its potenital!!!
Having a look at the owners manual here: https://mind.cog.jhu.edu/resources/c...BD45BluRay.pdf

It doesn't seem like the BD45 has any internet connectivity, only the BD65 and BD655 do.
Old 04 February 2013, 11:36 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks too Rob, gicing freemake a try, seems to be going ok, been looking forward to seeing Django Unchained all week and not been able to lol
Well done to all on this thread for aiding the pirates