Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

My PC Build

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2013, 03:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default My PC Build

Since the initial build 6 years ago, I have removed 2 screws and inserted £30 of memory. Other than that I have not touched it and it's run perfectly and silently every day.

Thing of beauty.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:25 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack, you shouldn't have that cup of tea near your monitor, its not wise.

Old 12 January 2013, 03:25 PM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

You forgot to mention the initial outlay.

You could have built a proper PC for half the price 6 years ago and still be running it.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:36 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Jack, you shouldn't have that cup of tea near your monitor, its not wise.

AKA 18 year old Amy from Kensington.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'd love to pit a six year old Windows PC against my Mac, in fact I doubt a 3 year old could compete unless it was triggers broom.
Old 12 January 2013, 03:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Stylish too.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:11 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Looks like something off Logan's Run.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Strickly speaking you didn't build it, some dude in China did and they were released August 2007 so not quite 6 years ago.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:24 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Strickly speaking you didn't build it, some dude in China did and they were released August 2007 so not quite 6 years ago.
Lets be fair though Jon, that guy in China must have been a proper artisan, a master of his trade to build such a thing. I'd like to think he is living the lifestyle suited to a man of such skill.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:56 PM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I'd love to pit a six year old Windows PC against my Mac, in fact I doubt a 3 year old could compete unless it was triggers broom.
I built mine on a budget(£400) 4 years ago and it still runs fine now and the only upgrade I have made is installing more storage space.
Old 12 January 2013, 04:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Strictly speaking that's a picture off of the internet and not my Jan 2006 iMac which was the first Intel model and is still going strong.
Old 12 January 2013, 05:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Lets be fair though Jon, that guy in China must have been a proper artisan, a master of his trade to build such a thing. I'd like to think he is living the lifestyle suited to a man of such skill.
Yes, each and every iMac loving hand crafted using only the finest of materials and precision tools using techniques passed down from generation to generation and only known to a select few who were personally chosen at birth by the late great Steve Jobs.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I know you're a hater Jon, but get real, the build quality of Apple products is second to none, unless you're a lover of cheap plastics, or advanced composites as others may describe them.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:50 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I know you're a hater Jon, but get real, the build quality of Apple products is second to none, unless you're a lover of cheap plastics, or advanced composites as others may describe them.
Design flaws on the Apple products isn't so great though. From the mute button on the 3G/3GS through to the unprotected screen on the 4/4S. So we can all agree they look nice, but they just can't get past these little foibles.
Old 12 January 2013, 08:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've had all of those phones and still have the 4s, all worked perfectly, no idea what you're talking about.
Old 12 January 2013, 10:47 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I've had all of those phones and still have the 4s, all worked perfectly, no idea what you're talking about.
Yeah, but they are very very common. The screen is prone to cracking as it sits proud of the frame on the 4. The mute switch on the 3 is very prone to just not working after a time, the speaker and earpiece in both models is flimsy to say the least. Having a number of friends etc. who repair them part-time or as a business, I can wholeheartedly state that these phones have a long list of ticking time bombs that will require attention at one time or another.
Oh, and you know exactly what I'm talking about, you just don't want to admit it to yourself.
Old 12 January 2013, 11:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

No, I'm talking from personal experience and you're talking about hearsay. In the same time that I've owned iPhones I've had a Blackberry and a Nokia, both of those lost the test of time against the iPhone.
Old 12 January 2013, 11:36 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Well, I have had the earpiece and mute switch problems on the 3GS, and a cracked screen on the 4S. Not hearsay. If it isn't the case, why is there a thriving industry of iPhone repair shops?
Your problem is you are blind to the imperfections in Apple products, denying it all and worse, coming on here to defend Apple when it isn't even being attacked, jumping on Android threads to go on about the inferiority of the product.
Isn't it boring for you? Even PSL has a break from it.
Old 13 January 2013, 08:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So, you say something broke for you and that's fine, I say nothing broke for me and that's my problem. Well that's the wrong way round mate, you had the problem, you dropped your phone and you likely have filthy pockets, taking care and cleaning is not an Apple problem.

The reason there are people repairing iPhones is because they are worth repairing, use your loaf and try to stay on topic, this thread is about my PC.
Old 13 January 2013, 08:38 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

So, you say something broke for you and that's fine, I say nothing broke for me and that's my problem. Well that's the wrong way round mate, you had the problem, you dropped your phone and you likely have filthy pockets, taking care and cleaning is not an Apple problem.

The reason there are people repairing iPhones is because they are worth repairing, use your loaf and try to stay on topic, this thread is about my PC.
Irony. We are firmly on topic because you waxed lyrical about the build quality of Apple products. Well, a lot of people are living comfortably from fixing the problems that Apple failed to safeguard against. The screen on the 4S is badly designed, and commonly breaks for no reason, same for the switch on the 3GS.

Filthy pockets, love it. Feeling the pressure Jack?
Old 13 January 2013, 09:01 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Sure they're nicely built, you'd expect that for the massive premium you pay over similarly spec'd PC. But for'a similarly priced Mac you can easily have a better built custom PC with better quality and superior performing hardware components. So you upgraded your memory on your Mac, the truth is that's about all you can do with a Mac.
Old 13 January 2013, 09:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

PC's aren't a hobby for me Jon, I need them for work, if all I have had to do in six nearly seven years is spend £35 and undo two screws then I fail to see how that's a bad thing. Obviously Apple got it right from the start. This iMac cost me £1000, per year that's incredibly good value, especially as its not going in the bin, it's actually worth something second hand and will carry on doing work for a good few years yet.

Myles, I fail to see the negative, your friends have made a business out of peoples carelessness and the secondhand value of iPhones, that's a good thing no? Broken Android phones have no value as there are so many different parts, they go in the bin.
Old 13 January 2013, 09:44 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

PC's aren't a hobby for me Jon, I need them for work, if all I have had to do in six nearly seven years is spend £35 and undo two screws then I fail to see how that's a bad thing. Obviously Apple got it right from the start. This iMac cost me £1000, per year that's incredibly good value, especially as its not going in the bin, it's actually worth something second hand and will carry on doing work for a good few years yet..
It may not be a hobby for you, but for others it is and clearly you started this trolling thread as an attempt to mock those who recently posted about their new PCs.
Old 13 January 2013, 11:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

There are always two sides to a coin Jon, in this case one side just works the other plays games.
Old 13 January 2013, 12:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Given the choice I know what I'd rather be doing!
Old 13 January 2013, 12:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I wish I was 17.
Old 13 January 2013, 04:11 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

haha you wouldn't even know where to start on how you would build a PC, this thread is so ironic.
Old 13 January 2013, 04:19 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

It may not be a hobby for you, but for others it is and clearly you started this trolling thread as an attempt to mock those who recently posted about their new PCs.
Absolutely spot on. It just shows how immature Jack really is.
Old 13 January 2013, 04:26 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Absolutely spot on. It just shows how immature Jack really is.
Come to think of it, I rarely see Jack comment on anything but Apple. This is primarily an Impreza forum, isn't it? At least PSL makes the odd comment about Imprezas, even though they are disparaging in the main!
Old 13 January 2013, 04:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I know its pretty sad really. De he ever even own one? maybe in the past. As you say all he "contributes" to now are Apple threads or to mock the competition. His obsession is an addiction now.

Quick Reply: My PC Build