Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BIG CD ROM Problems - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2002, 11:52 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

I was wondering if the IT genius's that frequent this site can help me out.
Here is the problem

I have two CD roms on my p.c. one of which is a re-writer, both were working fine last night, i could listen to music and load info off both.

I recently upgraded my hard drive and hadnt set up the re-writing facility for my re-writer, I loaded the cd rom this morning as i wanted to burn a disk and it installed all the drivers and so forth but kept asking for mr to enter the CD 1 software disk which was the disk the disk i had loaded the drivers with, i did as instructed. after installation both the cd roms had disapeared from "My Computer", i re started the PC and when the bios showed all the drives i.e both hard drives (master/slave) and both the HP re writer and samsung cd rom, but still both are no show in "My Computer)
When i go into CD ROM in system information it shows Unknown for everything and when i look in Add/Remove Harware it shows an exclamation mark for both CD players and the notice "The Device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers for this device (code31)when in windows media player 7.1 and click CD Audio it says NO CD-ROM Drive present.
Im running windows 2000 Pro and XP office pro if this helps

I know its long winded and im no computer genius but wondered if anyone could help me restore my cd roms

all help appreciated as ever.

Dave
Old 03 May 2002, 12:02 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds like a loose cable to the cd rom drives to me. Reseating the cables at both ends should sort that out, as you may have moved them when the HDD went in.
Old 03 May 2002, 12:19 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Unplug the CDRoms, boot to Windows, shut down, plug them back in, see if that works...
Old 03 May 2002, 12:20 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

Have you set your master/slave jumpers correctly ?
Old 03 May 2002, 12:22 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Oh, and helps if you stick your thumb in your ear poke your tongue out and jump on one leg while its booting

Old 03 May 2002, 12:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

master and slave are fine i did the hard drives about 6 weeks ago and they havent misbehaved, tried the unplugging and re booting then re plugging re booting no joy, but the still show themdelves on the bios!!!!!
Old 03 May 2002, 12:57 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Okay, this is what I'd do . . .

1) Check Master/Slave Jumpers
2) Check IDE cabling ie. that the master is in the master bit and slave in the slave
3) Check that the bios correctly recognises the hard drives and CD Roms
4) Load Windows, check, if incorrect remove the devices from Device Manager
5) Reboot and check again
6) Hit computer with large stick
7) Lather, rinse, repeat as needed

HTH

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2002, 01:13 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

Also, I take it that your driver/software disk is compatible with XP/2000 ?
Old 03 May 2002, 03:06 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Cheers DJ Dunk

All jumpers are in properly,Master, Slave and both CD roms show on the Bios when starting up as mentioned earlier the hard drives were sorted ages ago and the pins are in the correct place, all that was done ages ago it was when I was running the HP cd for the "Adaptec" re writing software that the conflicts started, now i cant even reload windows(if i wanted too) i cant use either CD player i'm screwed, all other apps are running fine

Maybe I answered yes to a particular question Windows threw at me and I have caused this mess, not being the computer expert im up $hit creek and WTF does this mean "The Device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers for this device (code31)" how can i load the drivers if i cant access my CD's??

most confused

The big stick seems like a good idea right now.
Oh well i'm at work now I will try again later

Cheers for all the help so far

Dave
Old 03 May 2002, 03:52 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

If you can see the CD-rom drives at Bios level then you can boot from them to reinstall Windows. Not sure whether Win98 is bootable though.

Have you uninstalled the Adaptec software, removed the drives in Device Manager and rebooted ? Don't give up hope yet !

Have tried going back to your previous config ?
Old 05 May 2002, 11:55 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I have now tried uninstalling both cd roms shut down and re boot, it recognises that there is new hardware and reinstalls them, but in device manager im still getting the exclamation mark on both drives?? and the message that windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31).

Im thinking at some point of trying to install the rewriting software i have deleted all the drivers from windows hence the code 31 message, due to my limited ablility im not too sure what to do next, I'm thinking try and reinstall windows 2000 from CD and if the bios stillshows both cd's on boot up i should be able to access one of them from the bios, right or wrong ??, ive been into the bios and really dont know where to star, any ideas guys, whilst I ponder this i will go to the microsoft site and try to download drivers if they have them.

Once again your advice, nudges in the right direction are appreciated.

Dave
Old 05 May 2002, 01:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Sorted

Uninstalled both CD Roms
Delete allfiles for cd's and adaptec
Deleted Windows media player 7
Entered the Reg Edit, and removed upper and lower filters for the cd roms, rebooted and hey presto no more code 31 and my cd players are back.
Conflicts with media player 7 apparently(a friend had seen a thread elsewhere about these conflicts)

The Munkii is happy again

Thanks for all your help

Dave

[Edited by Funkii Munkii - 5/5/2002 1:42:14 PM]