Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

quicktime problem

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2011, 03:35 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quicktime problem

right i've got an old g5 mac 1.6ghz and for some reason when it opens quicktime to view a pdf it only lets me look at the first page, i can't scroll down as the bar isn't there, there are no arrows to go to the next page...nothing anyone got any ideas what could be wrong or could i have done something to stop it working as it should?
also don't know if this helps but the computer does seem slower for some reason.

Last edited by scoobyboy; 29 November 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 29 November 2011, 05:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a PDF viewer from Adobe.com
Old 30 November 2011, 02:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What OS version is the machine running?
You mention QuickTime, are you sure that is what you mean? I ask as QuickTime is typically for playing media files and not PDF files.

If the file is indeed opening in QuickTime then the problem is the file association is messed up, so control / right click on the file in the finder and you should see a section detailing what app will open the file, click on the list, and see what is listed, ideally you would want to open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader, or Preview, so select those options, if they are not listed, there should be an Other option, select that, then go into your Applications folder and find the Preview app and select that.

The above assumes you're using some version of Mac OS X, if it's pre OS X then as Jack says, see if you can get a copy of Acrobat Reader, you may have to hunt as I doubt Adobe still keeps a pre OS X version on it's website.
Old 30 November 2011, 09:41 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it's running 10.5.8 and it definatly opens quicktime when trying to view a pdf from a website, i was on the .gov website checking up on employment and i click on a link to open one of their leaflets and quicktime pops up so i only get to see the first page.
it's not downloaded things that seem to be the problem they always open up adobe acrobat it's the ones where you click the link and it opens another window with what you want to look at in it that seems to be the problem.

does that help?
Old 02 December 2011, 09:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3248124?

Pretty drastic fix, not sure how your machine got in such a state.
Old 02 December 2011, 11:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

So it sounds as though the MIME type for PDF in Safari has been changed to use quicktime, very strange. answer on the article doesn't seem too difficult. Grab a copy of TextWrangler, duplicate the .plist file, then open the original and make the suggested change.

Probably can be done via a defaults command, but I cannot remember if / how to modify an array.