Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC TV tuner card and software.

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2011, 07:54 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC TV tuner card and software.

Need to setup a TV in the canteen at work and have it connected to a PC. They want to be able to have the TV on, but also have scrolling bars displaying company news and Sky sports news etc.. as well as picture in picture. Are there any TV tuner cards + software out there that let me do this? Budget is 2k for everything including tv, but as cheap as possible. They want a 40" TV so I think I'm going for a Samsung UE40D5520, I have about 1.5k left to get the PC, tuner card, software and cabling.

Any ideas?
Cheers, Shane.
Old 22 October 2011, 08:48 AM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

The PC, tuner card, software an cabling shouldn't cost more than about £500 so you've got plenty in the budget.

The only thing you might want to check up on is if you need a PRS/PPL license. I seem to remember that if the TV is in a "public place", which the canteen could be if you have visitors, then you need a license to broadcast the TV. Just something I came across when I was asked to set up the same thing.

In the end we decided not to bother with the TV as to have the sound loud enough for everyone to hear drowned out everything else.
Old 22 October 2011, 10:45 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

There's already a tv there, just upgrading. I've just been asked for my input in what hardware to get and to install it.