Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Interesting Article re. Android

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 07:43 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Interesting Article re. Android

Very interesting article

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/26/and...rns-are-30-40/

Jason
Old 26 July 2011, 08:38 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

more interesting are the comments under it..

seems tech crunch are getting well known for bashing droid at every chance
not exactly any facts on there or at least straight ones
Old 26 July 2011, 09:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The comments are really amusing, that article certainly rattled the Fandroid cage.
Old 26 July 2011, 10:11 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

However, on the ground, many return rates are approaching 40% said a person familiar with handset sales for multiple manufacturers.
what a load of crap!

seems one of the sun/news of the worlds journalists is writing for this website, how do i know? "a close friend told me"
Old 27 July 2011, 12:13 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

40% perhaps on some handsets and I would even debate that but in general, absolutely not.

I prefer Android, but if someone is completely computer illiterate then iTunes as badly written as it is on the PC does a great job of managing music and applications.

Marketplace isn't as good ... some of the software is woeful for managing music and videos (Kies for Samsung is terrible).
Old 27 July 2011, 12:23 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Does it really matter about poxy o/s anyways??

Bring back bog standard phones, all this iCRAP is doing my head in.
99% image 1% substance.
Old 27 July 2011, 12:26 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Aye but they are bloody useful!
for me I can fix issues at work on my phone, saving me from having to drop what ever I'm doing to get to my laptop or work
Old 27 July 2011, 12:53 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acstua
Aye but they are bloody useful!
for me I can fix issues at work on my phone, saving me from having to drop what ever I'm doing to get to my laptop or work
Yeah I get that, but I REALLY don`t get the whole hype. I mean I was watching TV and a "Fruit" advert came on and tried to tell me unless I had said fruit I couldn`t stream my videos and pics to my TV in HD without it. My N8 can do this and I`ve made use of this, but someone who isn`t so technically minded would believe this crap.

Its rubbish, all a marketing ploy to get you to spend your hard earned.
Old 27 July 2011, 07:02 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Airplay is a whole different game than connecting a HDMI lead. You should believe the hype, it just might be true.

I have the N8 by the way, it's an OK phone and OVI maps are great, other than that you've wasted your hard earned.
Old 27 July 2011, 08:34 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

believe the hype my ****.
And yes Jimbob i completely agree, those adverts make me cringe
If you dont have an iPhone you dont have a phone or whatever bull they go on about

But.
Apple do seem to have one of the best marketing and propoganda systems going, hence the amount of people who just buy what ever they chuck out without really thinking. (See the religion story on BBC news a month or two ago)

Its really Apple as a company that i dont like ... hence i dont buy their kit
i will say the hardware they produce is nicely done, and some of the software is ok, but theres just too much control and sinister goings on for me to buy into the company
(the PC with proprietary sata socket for one.....)

and yes i do have an Android, but then i had a SE before that and a Nokia before that
i chop and change all the time and move to what i thinks best for me
Im going to assume you have an iPhone JackClark
Old 27 July 2011, 09:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's a bit like DLNA but then more, my iPad for instance can be displayed in its entirety on my TV, I guess a bit like VNC but your mother could understand it. It's for Apple products only, I'm sure you could hack it if you really wanted. As for third party support there's plenty, Denon, Marantz, Bowers and Wilkins, JBL and iHome to name a few.

I love it when people start going on about Apple being Control Freaks and a Marketing machine, makes me laugh. The same article I believe links to articles showing just how 'open' your Android is. Laughable.
Old 27 July 2011, 09:27 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Explain the proprietary sata socket
the battery you cant change
Last week Apple applied for a patent for technology to take over “jail broken” iPads and iPhones and reset them to factory defaults.

and calling them a marketing machine, whys that laugable? they are a very succesful marketing machine...

I'm not going to be dragged into a flame war...because its just plain childish
i did actually state above i like the iphone etc to a degree...
Old 27 July 2011, 09:46 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Why can't they have a proprietary sata socket if they choose, what about proprietary chargers, batteries, you name it someone makes their own socket, plug, charger, it's just you AntiFanboys pick up on the smallest thing so you can vent your anger. Do you think I care that my iMac will need an Apple product should the hard drive give way, of course not. And changing a battery is simple, £10 on ebay including any tools you need. Every person I've met who brought that argument up - years ago by the way - when asked how many batteries they had with them for their phone, had none.

I think it's great if Apple choose to reset Jailbroken iPhones and iPads, they cause trouble and steal from developers, you have a choice when you purchase. Are you moaning about Google removing, yes removing, applications from Android phones, how sinister is that?? I have applications on my phone, VLC for example that may well have been removed from the store, but it's still on my phone.
Old 27 July 2011, 10:36 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

what the hell is an anti fan boy lol...
Im not anger, ive never been angry, why would i get angry over a mobile phone lol...
as for sockets, there are standards and 90% of people use them.
like the agreed standard for mobile phone charging being microusb..

Cause trouble and steal from developers? er... from what ive seen there are more possiblitys and developers for the Cydia store etc
Google removing apps? you mean like this story is reporting about, the virius ridden apps? http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...-secutiry.html
im sure you're jump on that on your next outburst..

i dont know why people get so bloody defensive over what phone they have brought
seriously...
Old 27 July 2011, 06:55 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Airplay is a whole different game than connecting a HDMI lead. You should believe the hype, it just might be true.

I have the N8 by the way, it's an OK phone and OVI maps are great, other than that you've wasted your hard earned.
All £0.00p lol.

The phone does everything I want, and some that I don`t need, but ah well.
I want MP3 without paying (ripped off my own original disks), and a phone and satnav that works. No fancy pants crap for the sake of it.

At the end of the day its a mobile phone, as long as I can make calls easily, text easily, and use it as an alarm clock, whilst not having to charge it every 2 mins. The camera and HD video is superb, and gets used a LOT.

Apple won`t be around for a great deal of time, as they are too trendy, as it takes a few celebs to find something new and they`ll be dumped back where they came from so all the mac users hiding in their bedrooms can have a couple more friends.
Old 27 July 2011, 07:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Ha! Apple have been rocking the PC industry since 1984 and as one of the most cash rich companies in the world will be here for a long time. There's more chance that you'll buy an iPhone than they'll fade away.

Your right about the Nokias camera and maps, excellent, but everything else is terrible, even setting an alarm, it took me hours to get it to connect to wifi. If you tried a well thought out operating system you'd understand, even Android makes Symbian feel bad.
Old 27 July 2011, 10:11 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Ha! Apple have been rocking the PC industry since 1984 and as one of the most cash rich companies in the world will be here for a long time. There's more chance that you'll buy an iPhone than they'll fade away.

Your right about the Nokias camera and maps, excellent, but everything else is terrible, even setting an alarm, it took me hours to get it to connect to wifi. If you tried a well thought out operating system you'd understand, even Android makes Symbian feel bad.
Just goes to show that people who like the shiney shiney are usually crap on a computer.

I`ve not found an easier way to set an alarm or go on wifi, tap the clock and tap the wifi tab. Take 10 mins to set it up YOUR WAY and your good to go, couldn`t be easier.

Macintosh have always been a non entity in the pc/business setup, and its rare to get them used on mass. Its ONLY since they changed the box to shiney shiney that they stole a march. Linux is better to use than Mac, Windows for all its flaws is better. Even my old Commodore machines were better than Mac, its only a bunch of train spotters and now so called "trend setters" that are keeping them there.

They are a fad and will be gone in a few years leaving the market controlled by Android, as having the o/s non phone specific is the key, put it on anything and not get tied. Apple have the Achilles heel of having their own phones and the limitations that presents.

Plus what are the fastest selling phones Samsung running Android.

Who (allegedly for legal reasons) "STOLE" from Samsung and Nokia? Apple lol.
Old 28 July 2011, 12:44 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob

They are a fad and will be gone in a few years leaving the market controlled by Android, as having the o/s non phone specific is the key, put it on anything and not get tied. Apple have the Achilles heel of having their own phones and the limitations that presents.
are you drunk?
Old 28 July 2011, 05:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

He's Welsh, don't be cruel.
Old 28 July 2011, 03:19 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Just goes to show that people who like the shiney shiney are usually crap on a computer.

I`ve not found an easier way to set an alarm or go on wifi, tap the clock and tap the wifi tab. Take 10 mins to set it up YOUR WAY and your good to go, couldn`t be easier.

Macintosh have always been a non entity in the pc/business setup, and its rare to get them used on mass. Its ONLY since they changed the box to shiney shiney that they stole a march. Linux is better to use than Mac, Windows for all its flaws is better. Even my old Commodore machines were better than Mac, its only a bunch of train spotters and now so called "trend setters" that are keeping them there.

Plus what are the fastest selling phones Samsung running Android.

Who (allegedly for legal reasons) "STOLE" from Samsung and Nokia? Apple lol.
Last time I was in an Apple Store it certainly wasn't filled with train spotters and trend setters.

I actually commented to my wife how many older people were in there.
People are starting to realise that if they want a reliable, well built PC or laptop for email, surfing the web and general use then Apple products are second to none. You pay a premium of course but you pay a premium if you buy an Audi over a Kia.

I have Apple products but I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, if a better product was in the market for my iPad or Macbook Pro then I'd swap tomorrow.

You're comments are a bit of a joke to be honest!!

Old 28 July 2011, 07:03 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

PC's and Laptops are reliable..... the problem is the user and the amount of control Windows gives people.
PICNIC etc..

i remeber asking a bloke at work why he got his macbook, hes reply was its pretty heh
admitedly thats a one off

I Wouldnt consider my current PC or Laptop a Kia anyhow
Old 29 July 2011, 08:30 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Ha! Apple have been rocking the PC industry since 1984
Do you have figures to back that up in terms of Apples market share compared to that of the PC?
I havent looked into it but i'm willing to bet the ammount of apple desk top systems and mac books in circulation is very small compared to the number of pc's in circulation and currently being used, both in homes and in business.
Old 29 July 2011, 08:42 PM
Gregsti01
Scooby Regular

All £0.00p lol.

The phone does everything I want, and some that I don`t need, but ah well.
I want MP3 without paying (ripped off my own original disks), and a phone and satnav that works. No fancy pants crap for the sake of it.

At the end of the day its a mobile phone, as long as I can make calls easily, text easily, and use it as an alarm clock, whilst not having to charge it every 2 mins. The camera and HD video is superb, and gets used a LOT.

Apple won`t be around for a great deal of time, as they are too trendy, as it takes a few celebs to find something new and they`ll be dumped back where they came from so all the mac users hiding in their bedrooms can have a couple more friends.
N8 nice bit of kit,charge,dragndrop,tidy apps,good battery life,whats more it works like a mobile phone !!!!
Old 30 July 2011, 04:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You're right Greg, it does all of those things and it does work like a mobile phone, trouble is it claims to be a smartphone. Anyhow, I've been using it again this week and it's worked just fine. Terrible colour though.
Old 30 July 2011, 04:18 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Do you have figures to back that up in terms of Apples market share compared to that of the PC?
I havent looked into it but i'm willing to bet the ammount of apple desk top systems and mac books in circulation is very small compared to the number of pc's in circulation and currently being used, both in homes and in business.
Get a piece of paper and draw a red line starting from the bottom left rising towards the top right, steadily at first then taking an upwards swing from about 2007 onwards. There you go, as good as any stats you'll find. You do know that Apple now have more cash than America.
Old 30 July 2011, 04:20 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

And whist you're on the attack Apple have overtaken Nokia as the largest Mobile phone manufacturer, Boom! Good work Steve.
Old 30 July 2011, 08:42 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

And whist you're on the attack Apple have overtaken Nokia as the largest Mobile phone manufacturer, Boom! Good work Steve.
Largest Smartphone manufacturer, but not all mobiles phones. Nokia still has a total market share of 24.5% compared to Apple's 5.6%
Old 30 July 2011, 12:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If Microsoft don't save Nokia that's set to change.

Quick Reply: Interesting Article re. Android