Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT B/B- dropping signal ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2010, 10:07 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT B/B- dropping signal ??

Guys just changed from sky broadband to BT homehub BB, the transfer went okay infact very well they handle everything gone are teh days off having to almost demand your transfer code !! even automatically sets up your outlook express account for you via the bt homepage - neat eh ??!!

anyway overall fairly pleased with BT apart from every so often I find that my internet connection drops for no apparant reason, if I turn off the hub and turn it back on again and it obviously resetts itself I normally find my connection is okay again, have the filters at all phone connections, anything else anyone can think off that is possibly causing the signal to drop ever so often ??
Old 17 June 2010, 10:31 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

is it just the wireless link dropping, or is it dropping sync ('b' light flashing orange for a while, then back to blue).
Old 17 June 2010, 11:07 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay sorry nope the actual broadband light on the hub flashes / stays ?? orange and I loose signal, sorry should have explained better this is on my main pc which the hub is attached to with the use off the ethernet cable.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:21 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Seen lots of comments on the old interwebbie about how sh&te homehubs are. But never had one myself. Got a Draytek (with BT broadband) and it NEVER drops signal!

Does anything else on your BT line *not work* when the BB signal dies? Does your phone still work? Does the TV thingie still work if you have it?

Dave
Yep been on BT Broadband for over 8 years, and always used my own router (Dreytek Vigor 2800) and no issues with drop outs. Did on occassion noticed around 5pm that the line would drop and come up again, but put that down to BT dropping the line speed for peak periods Recently bought one of those accelartor plates for the phone socket (BT give these away for free to new customers) and noticed a better connection since.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:48 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Assumin the phone line is testing ok, the Causes of intermitant dropping of sync are usually as follows

in order of most common.

1. a noisy phone line, crackling.
2. internal wiring issues
3. un-detectable problems in the external network (overhearing another ADSL circuit).
4. line card problems at exchange
5. v rarely a router fault (usually it either works or it doesn't).
Old 21 June 2010, 11:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guys really do appreciatte the advice, am actually moving home in a few weeks so will see how I get on in the new house regards the connection dropping out etc, hopefully whatever is causing this will be left at this house !!!

the accelartor plate that you refer to never actually received one in with my bt home hub etc, you reckon give one a shot ??
Old 28 June 2010, 09:50 AM
TheFud
Scooby Newbie

BT accellerator socket filters out RF inteference on internal wiring. If you dont have any extensions they're not worth fitting and could just add to problems. Also, if you have a new master socket with Openreach written on it then it already has this built in.

Most common cause of this is internal wiring / devices or just the socket itself. Always best to test from master with no other devices plugged in. Remove the small cover and test from test socket behind. If you don't have a master and some old type then that most likely will be the problem and you'll need an engineer to update it.

Line faults can often be identified by ringing the landline while downloading or streaming something as broadband sync drops because of the amount of data errors.

Week old thread I know but just thought i'd put in my 2p.