Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Do i need a firewall,under these circumstances?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2010, 12:11 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do i need a firewall,under these circumstances?

Ok,this is probably a really bone question,but i'm only after advice,not being shot down in flames!!!

I have a laptop for basic home use(including banking) with Vista and IE8 and am using a Netgear DG834G router.For the past few years i've been using windows live one care,which i think,has been fantastic as its pretty much an all in one fit and forget system.
Now that my subscription is coming to an end,next month and Windows are no longer supporting this product-the alternative seems to be,using microsoft security essentials or buying a close alternative(thinking of the new Norton product).
I understand that this system (MSE) is good,but is lacking the security of a firewall and other add-ons that take the hassle out of constantly cleaning the hard drive.
Have searched previous questions on this forum and i'm still a bit confused,so with MSE,will i still need a firewall or will my router be using one that is adequate?.
Or,as i want something that is as close to live one care as possible,should i just buy an off the shelf alternative?
If so,which one...?
Thanks in advance
Old 08 March 2010, 01:12 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES you seem clever (including banking)

avast
zone alarm
"free-version"
firefox browser
malwarebytes

All free to download
Old 08 March 2010, 10:03 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Been using MSE for a few months now on all my PC's and haven't had any problems with it, windows comes with a firewall anyway and i would think your router also has its own firewall
Old 08 March 2010, 11:12 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Personally I think you are doing fine - apart from using IE8. I would pick another browser, as there are features within them that make them more secure than IE8.

MSE is good though - I use it with Windows 7 and it really does not get in the way except when something dodgy happens
Old 08 March 2010, 11:23 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.Will stick to MSE as and when and default to Firefox instead of IE 8
Old 08 March 2010, 11:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the DG834G router is already a firewall and would suffice for 99% of most home users needs

most peoples machines get infected by the user clicking on things they shouldn't - no firewall can protect against user ignorance/stupidity
Old 08 March 2010, 01:12 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

As above, on my desktop I don't run a software firewall, just rely on the one in the router. I have Kaspersky anti virus installed but didn't include the firewall bit. I would consider using one but most seem to interfere with the Cisco VPN client we use to connect to the work network from home.

On my laptop, that the missus uses more than me, I do have the Kaspersky firewall installed. Prior to getting the Kaspersky stuff (free with Barclays internet banking) I was happy with the Microsoft firewall built into Vista.
Old 08 March 2010, 02:49 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
the DG834G router is already a firewall and would suffice for 99% of most home users needs
Only problem is he, at present, can not control outbound connections.

A hardware and software based Firewalls is all that is needed. As long as you are not a complete mong on the Internet, an AV is pointless.