Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Possible to send an email from different ISP?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2009, 06:26 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Possible to send an email from different ISP?

I always thought that you couldn't send an email from a different ISP.

i.e. We use eclipse internet at work and my boss at home uses talktalk. He's been told that if we get in contact with eclipse and give them his IP address of his home PC, eclipse will allow him to send emails over the eclipse work email.

I always thought this wasn't possible.
Old 23 November 2009, 06:43 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you know the address of the SMTP server and have access to it (as in authentication) then you can use it.

For instance I quite often use my Demon SMTP server to send mail rather than (say) BTInternet. It saves setting up for each ISP you are attached to/via.

Demon is probably more friendly than other ISPs if you know what you're doing though.
Old 23 November 2009, 06:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above, you can said email from any server that you wish. For example I have a domain with a hosting company, so I use that domain's smtp server to send email.

Steve
Old 23 November 2009, 10:56 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Within the mail settings of your bosses e-mail client (im guessing probably Outlook or Outlook express/Windows mail) just set the option in the outgoing server settings "My outgoing server requires authentication" then select "log on using" and enter a valid eclipse e-mail account/password.
Old 24 November 2009, 09:45 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

using the smtp server of one ISP (ISP A) whilst connecting to the internet by another ISP (ISP B) is essentially asking the the smtp server (ISP A) to relay mail -- something that ISP's do not really do any more

you can usually use the smtp server of your internet ISP (i.e. the ISP you use to connect to the internet) to send the mail, even though it is sent from you original domain

i.e. the eclipse mail server will happily send mail from a talk talk email address as long as you are connected to the eclipse network and send the mail via the eclipse smtp server

(the eclipse server is not really interested in the talk talk domain - it is more interested in the fact that you have authenticated with the eclipse network - hence is assumes you have authority to send mail via its smtp servers)

smtp servers that allow anyone (i.e. anonymouse users) to send mail thru them are referred to as Open Relays -- and are put on Blacklists , which are used by lots of ISP to block mail coming from the Open Relays -- because it is usually spam

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 November 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 26 November 2009, 12:23 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

We use a service called Outgoing authenticated SMTP server and email relay service (solves most SMTP and email relay errors). to allow our clients to send out. Very cheap and reliable.

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2009, 12:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent, thanks chaps