Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ipod touch - a few questions ???

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2009, 05:39 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod touch - a few questions ???

Hi just purchased a used six month old Apple ipod gen 2 8GB ipod touch, still to receive it yet but in the meantime just wonder if anyone here could share a few tips on the whole ipod touch scene in terms off getting it jailbroken / what are the best appliances for it out there ?? would like to use the wifi facility in conjunction with skype or similar anyone here used it for such a purpose ?? wifi radar type programme like you get for laptops anything like this to suit the ipod touch ??

lastly once jailbroken is it just a case off connecting the unit up to the pc via usb and using drag and drop to put any required files etc on the unit , bit confused ??
Old 23 October 2009, 07:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First question, why do you want to jailbreak it? For the iPhone there is the ability to unlock it so you can use it on networks other than O2, so that's a good reason. For the Touch, well it's not such a big deal.

As for how to do it. Have a look here for info. You may also want to go and have a look at Blackra1n
Old 23 October 2009, 07:25 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Surely jailbraking it gives you the ablty to bypass a lot off the extra expense with paying for a lot off extras does it not ??!!

" blackra1n " yep thanks for that from searching around the net its certainly one that is associatted with the 3.1.2 firmware, possibly even the only one ??!!

thanks again for the info appreciatte that.
Old 23 October 2009, 07:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What you mean downloading and installing cracked and thus illegal versions of apps? If so then yeah, jailbreaking does allow you to do that.

I will admit to installing the odd cracked app. The reason? I wanted to try before I buy, and when an app is ≥ $30 if it does not do what you want then you've spunked the money. I'm told it is possible to go through Apple and get a refund but it's not the most simple of processes.

This is one of the reasons I'm not overly keen on the app store, as there isn't, well, wasn't, a way for devs to offer trial versions of their apps, bar creating and submitting a totally separate "Lite" version of their app. This has changed very recently as Apple has enabled micropayments in apps, thus allow you to purchased from within an app, so this should, hopefully, allow devs to create a single app, offer it for free, but limit the functionality of it, maybe even a time limit, and then if the user likes it, they use the micropayment system to buy a copy if it. Much more elegant.
Old 24 October 2009, 08:51 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

As the whole ipod touch scene is completely new to me just a bit confused how you would actually install any extra programmes / mp3 files that you want to install ?? once jailbroken is it just a case off using drag and drop to put any required files onto the ipod or is it a case off still going thru itunes ??

any particular voip programme that works well with the touch ??

original iphone goldfish screen - possible to get for the touch ??
Old 24 October 2009, 02:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Apps can be downloaded via the iTunes store on your computer, and then you sync the iPod with iTunes and it'll copy over the apps. Or you can run the App Store app on the iPod and download an app directly to it. When you sync it'll copy the app from the iPod back into iTunes, or you can select the "Transfer Purchases" option in iTunes to just copy the apps over.

Music you'd add through iTunes, though there probably are apps out there that will allow you to copy music to the iPod. But you cannot simply drag and drop as the files won't be added to the database that the iPod uses so it won't see them.

Not sure about VIOP, there is Skype and I'd guess that works ok.

You mean the goldfish wallpaper as seen here. You can download it and sync it with iTunes. You might be able to use something like DiskAid to copy it over, but I'm not sure where it would store the photos, possibly in the Photos folder on the Media partition, but I'm not sure. iTunes is probably the best bet.
Old 25 October 2009, 09:19 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Skype works fine but you need to purchase iphone headphone lead with the built in mic as touch does not have a mic.
Old 25 October 2009, 09:55 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Skype works fine but you need to purchase iphone headphone lead with the built in mic as touch does not have a mic.
Okay thanks will check out ebay and see what I can find, you used skype yourself with the ipod touch ?? any idea if skpe gives completely free calls from pc to non skype landines, ie the other user does not actually have to be running skpe themselves ??
Old 25 October 2009, 10:02 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Check out a program called sharepod as an alternative to itunes, you can drag and drop using that but you still need to sync to get the files to the ipod.

My 3rd gen touch headset/mic doesnt work with skype so be careful what you buy. Some aftermarket headphone/mics work, but some dont.

I think the only free calls are from Skype to Skype, anything else you need to pay for. Im pretty sure thats right.
Old 25 October 2009, 11:13 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks will check out ebay and see what I can find, you used skype yourself with the ipod touch ?? any idea if skpe gives completely free calls from pc to non skype landines, ie the other user does not actually have to be running skpe themselves ??
Yes ipod touch works fine with skype, i have used myself.
Dont know the other point i use "justvoip" on my netbook for that.
www.justvoip.com

Last edited by Beastie; 25 October 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 25 October 2009, 05:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Boro - perfect mate exactly what I was looking for.

Beastie - thanks also thats great will check the link out appreciatte that.
Old 27 October 2009, 09:28 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Yes ipod touch works fine with skype, i have used myself.
Dont know the other point i use "justvoip" on my netbook for that.
Justvoip | For the cheapest international calls!
Okay been playing around with a few off these voip programmes tonight and although a few off them do state free landlines to various countries including the uk most are just for a limited time. tried one programme out from the pc itself and must admitt to quality was outstanding, the person on the other end said the only difference he noticed was that there was a very slight echo from his own voice.

so still on the look out for a service which will give completely free pc to landline calls without topping up etc, such a thing out there ??