Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 blue ray drive - knacked

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2008, 05:04 PM
ash1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 blue ray drive - knacked

Started to play PES2009 (cr*p anyway) and just froze...... thought it was the disc until I tried another game, then a DVD. Looks like the blue ray drive has died. On the way back to Sony now.

Anyone else had this problem ? Worried now as warranty runs out in a few months.
Old 22 December 2008, 05:11 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

happened to me with GTA - increased freezing.

Sony turned up at the door with a replacement within the week. Think it was recycled, but outer casing was brand new.
Old 22 December 2008, 05:53 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

My first PS3 did the same within the first week after around two hours use.
Old 22 December 2008, 07:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better get one of those 360 things then
Old 22 December 2008, 07:53 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

I took my Xbox Elite back to Blockbuster a couple of weeks ago after it failed after 10 months and got a replacement. I asked if they get many 360's back and they said they actually get more PS3's!
Old 23 December 2008, 10:57 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having had 5 busted xboxes and 0 busted PS3's. i'd still rather have my busted *** xbox
Old 23 December 2008, 07:31 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Mine doesn't get used enough to get busted, always on the 360, which one has now knacked and the other scratches games discs. Oh well still more fun to play than the PS3.
Old 26 December 2008, 05:48 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

lol strange how microsoft has made a machine that breaks all the time but is still more fun too play than its rivals

im on my 2nd xbox from launch day
Old 26 December 2008, 07:11 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Dont get me wrong as Im no blinkered Sony fan who thinks the PS3 is doing better than the 360 in terms of sales etc. But how is the 360 more fun other than a few exclusive titles and from what people say on here a better multiplayer environment? The vast majority of the games are the same.

All this from a guy checking on his potentially faulty PS3 drive. To think that PS3 owners are the ones normally branded "fanboys"

Simon
Old 28 December 2008, 01:38 AM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Dont get me wrong as Im no blinkered Sony fan who thinks the PS3 is doing better than the 360 in terms of sales etc. But how is the 360 more fun other than a few exclusive titles and from what people say on here a better multiplayer environment? The vast majority of the games are the same.

All this from a guy checking on his potentially faulty PS3 drive. To think that PS3 owners are the ones normally branded "fanboys"

Simon
"fun" in some cases means smoother game play. The developers can attain smoothness (eg. better framerate) far easier for Xbox360 than they can for Playstation 3 - which is a pig to program. The developers have to go that extra yard to make the playstation 3 version of a game as smooth as the xbox360 version.

Having both machines, I prefer Xbox360 versions of games, compared to their Sony counterparts.

BTW, I'm on my second Playstation3, after the first packed in.
Old 28 December 2008, 09:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
"fun" in some cases means smoother game play. The developers can attain smoothness (eg. better framerate) far easier for Xbox360 than they can for Playstation 3 - which is a pig to program. The developers have to go that extra yard to make the playstation 3 version of a game as smooth as the xbox360 version.

Having both machines, I prefer Xbox360 versions of games, compared to their Sony counterparts.

BTW, I'm on my second Playstation3, after the first packed in.
Im not trying to be obtuse as I havent really dont much research on the development differences myself. However a quick google leads me to several seemingly neutral articles (I ignored ones on PS3 or Xbox specific sites, blogs etc) like this:

PlayStation 3 harder to developer for? Nonsense, says GRAW team // News

News: PS3 hard to develop for? No says Sigma dev - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

And those two are both from 2007. Is this "the PS3 is harder to code for" really an issue or another internet based old wives tale that has done the rounds so much its become gospel?

Btw do you really buy the same title for both and play them side by side? Or are we talking you buy it for the 360 and play at home and maybe have a crack on your mates PS3 and not like it as much?

Simon
Old 29 December 2008, 07:37 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Im not trying to be obtuse as I havent really dont much research on the development differences myself. However a quick google leads me to several seemingly neutral articles (I ignored ones on PS3 or Xbox specific sites, blogs etc) like this:

PlayStation 3 harder to developer for? Nonsense, says GRAW team // News

News: PS3 hard to develop for? No says Sigma dev - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

And those two are both from 2007. Is this "the PS3 is harder to code for" really an issue or another internet based old wives tale that has done the rounds so much its become gospel?

Btw do you really buy the same title for both and play them side by side? Or are we talking you buy it for the 360 and play at home and maybe have a crack on your mates PS3 and not like it as much?

Simon
It's well known throughout the industry that the PS3 is a less attractive platform to develop for, utilising an architecture previously unseen. Some of the biggest names in the business have gone on record confirming this, including Gabe Newell (Valve) going so far as to say PS3 was a complete waste of everyone's time. Even the Japanese developers (who'd you think would be loyal to Sony) have noted the same thing.

Contrast to Xbox and latterly Xbox360 which both roughly use a subset of DirectX - an API programmers have had years to get to grips with on PC's. To get up and running on an Xbox360 is a far quicker excercise than starting from scratch on the PS3 and its new custom chips. Sony keep reinventing the wheel mainly with PS2 and then PS3 - forcing programmers to start from scratch each time. Microsoft stole a march on them by not doing this - offering a familiar developement environment.

To confirm this, I have a school friend who's owned and run a successful game developement company for the last 15 YEARS, working currently on both platforms (and more) who echoes the exact same sentinments.

And to answer your final question, I own both consoles so am in a position to playtest the games and decide which full version to buy. These days, the only action my PS3 gets is the exclusive games like Everybody's Golf and GT Prologue.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 29 December 2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 29 December 2008, 07:51 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to my ps3 40gb, it was about 6 months old, took it back to GAME without checking, they swapped it for a 80gb one because they said they never had any 40gb ones. Sounds like a common fault then.

Last edited by G-string; 29 December 2008 at 07:55 PM.