Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 Tomorrow - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 07:42 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 Tomorrow - any tips?

And no witty people saying "return it"

After a couple of false starts and cancelled orders, PS3 is arriving tomorrow.

Any tips on setup? i've heard something about downloading updates to usb stick first - what's that about? Any thing else I need to be prepared for?
Old 19 December 2008, 08:46 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I'm not taking the pi$$ here. Be prepared to wait an hour or more after initial setup befor you play anything.

Install + Updates suck

First install is pretty simple it's all auto. Just get your WEP key to hand for your net setup and that's all you should need. Oh and an Hdmi cable cause thats not included
Old 19 December 2008, 09:04 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Got a cable included (thank you Sony Centre) and now have the 2.53 update on a stick ready. Will be wired rather than wireless which is just as well as I can't remember my key!

Is the install different from the update?
Old 19 December 2008, 09:34 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Each game dumps varing amounts of game data to the HDD because of the slow read speads of the Blu ray drive. Think my total install for GT5 was 3-4GB + the update downloads. LBP was only around 1GB
Old 20 December 2008, 09:30 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I asked this question on another thread but cant remember which lol. With all this moaning about PS3 updates Im assuming the 360 does no updating and you can play straight away?

Simon
Old 20 December 2008, 09:45 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The 360 does update occasionally, but it litterally takes seconds.
Old 20 December 2008, 10:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

So for any games you buy there are no updates other than for additonal content? Seems strange as the games must be similar.

Simon
Old 20 December 2008, 10:58 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Games on the 360 do have occaisional patches/fixes released. Far fewer than for the PS3, but they do happen. The difference is that they usually downlaod and install in a few seconds on the 360, whereas on the PS3 they usually take around half an hour.

Problem with the Sony patches is that they seem to break as much stuff with each patch as they fix. They seem to have a pretty bad QA department.

p.s. Look out for another PS3 firmware soon to fix a problem with trophies breaking games...
Old 20 December 2008, 01:26 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Games on the 360 do have occaisional patches/fixes released. Far fewer than for the PS3, but they do happen. The difference is that they usually downlaod and install in a few seconds on the 360, whereas on the PS3 they usually take around half an hour.

Problem with the Sony patches is that they seem to break as much stuff with each patch as they fix. They seem to have a pretty bad QA department.

p.s. Look out for another PS3 firmware soon to fix a problem with trophies breaking games...
For you maybe, games patches for most people take very little time.

You really have a downer on Sony don't you?

Geezer
Old 20 December 2008, 02:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
For you maybe, games patches for most people take very little time.
I know 5 people with a PS3. All of them complain about slow downloads, and there have been several postings on here from other people also complaining of the same issue. I get the impression that people who have a good experience are in the minority. last time I turned on GT5 it was nearly an hour before I could actually play the thing (that's how long the latest update took to download and install).

You really have a downer on Sony don't you?
Yes. I am very disappointed with the PS3, and feel I have wasted my money. The only reason I still have it is that I am waiting for God of War 3 (may well sell it after I've finished that). Issues I have with it include...
  • The exclusive games are generally average at best, and the cross platform games generally tend to run better on the 360.
  • The online service is free but rubbish. Very slow and unreliable. The new home application is just a joke.
  • Because I cam using component video to connect the thing to my tv, it will not upscale dvds (it will only do that over hdmi).
  • The controllers are too small, feel cheaply made, and do not have replaceable batteries. I've had the batteries in two controllers die on me and unlike the 360 (where you can just get a new £6 battery), on the PS3 you have to replace the whole flippin controller
  • The hard drive (mine is a 40gb) is also too small due to having to install nearly every game due to the slow speed of the blu-ray drive.
  • Very average looking lineup for the next year
Other than that I suppose it is ok . You can see how much I use it when you look at the numebr of games I have for it. About 10 for the PS3, well over 100 for the 360...

Last edited by Iain Young; 20 December 2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 20 December 2008, 04:23 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

System update took couple of mins, but Burnout is taking ages.

Loving the box though, bought a mag with 25 demos on it so that's the next few days taken care of.
Old 20 December 2008, 05:52 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

is the ps3 an upscaling dvd player as well?
Old 20 December 2008, 06:16 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

both the 360 and PS3 are upsacaler's
Old 20 December 2008, 06:32 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The PS3 will only upscale if you use the hdmi connection. If you connect through component video, it does nothing for some bizarre reason.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:39 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Wait a second there is 5 of what look like screws but aren't in the sixaxis controller, can't you remove them and replace the battery.None rumble pad i'm mentioning.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
Each game dumps varing amounts of game data to the HDD because of the slow read speads of the Blu ray drive. Think my total install for GT5 was 3-4GB + the update downloads. LBP was only around 1GB
Some games. Not each.

With regards to updates, it seems to be luck of the draw. My kids is lighting quick, Mine was rubbish - Then I changed my wireless router, and its much, much better.

Oh, and 360 doesn't upscale DVDs over component. Only VGA and HDMI.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:35 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

my ps3 update quick, but i only have two games gt5 pro and mgs4, i have a hacked 360 so play all my games on that
Old 20 December 2008, 09:39 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

GTI Club demo is cool, bit retro but I used to love the arcade machine with the handbrake

Got a strange look from my mrs when I said "I'm going to dive down the shortcut through the houses" and then proceeded to do it. I think the look was pity, 10 years and I can still remember the course!!
Old 20 December 2008, 09:41 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Got a cable included (thank you Sony Centre) and now have the 2.53 update on a stick ready. Will be wired rather than wireless which is just as well as I can't remember my key!

Is the install different from the update?
Thats how i did my first update, only took a few minutes, downloaded a few videos and haven't had any problems (ie slow)
Old 20 December 2008, 09:59 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

MTV Multiplayer The Mystery Behind PlayStation 3’s Sometimes Mandatory Installations
Old 21 December 2008, 01:11 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My honest opinion on getting a PS3 is DON'T i hate mine, it literally is a load of toss and gimmickery.

Best option is as follows
Buy an Xbox Premium - £169.00
Buy a Samsung Blu-ray Player - £150.00

This way not only will you have a good blu-ray player but u'll also have something thats fun to play games on.
Old 21 December 2008, 02:13 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Loving ti so far, as posted by me before, I'm not a gamer but like the odd trundle round a track.
Primary task for it is CD/DVD/BR but enjoying the games I've being doing so far. (Except NFS prostreet - cack)
Old 21 December 2008, 03:32 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 is set to be released in 09, as is a 4x4 game named Off Road Drive. Both games are on all formats. Personally i was waiting for a decent off roader and hoping they are both good.

Nathan.

P.s Motorm4x is a 4x4 game to look out for, U.S release only though and Hummer 4x4 too.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 21 December 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 21 December 2008, 04:55 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I know 5 people with a PS3. All of them complain about slow downloads, and there have been several postings on here from other people also complaining of the same issue. I get the impression that people who have a good experience are in the minority. last time I turned on GT5 it was nearly an hour before I could actually play the thing (that's how long the latest update took to download and install).

Yes. I am very disappointed with the PS3, and feel I have wasted my money. The only reason I still have it is that I am waiting for God of War 3 (may well sell it after I've finished that). Issues I have with it include...
  • The exclusive games are generally average at best, and the cross platform games generally tend to run better on the 360.
  • The online service is free but rubbish. Very slow and unreliable. The new home application is just a joke.
  • Because I cam using component video to connect the thing to my tv, it will not upscale dvds (it will only do that over hdmi).
  • The controllers are too small, feel cheaply made, and do not have replaceable batteries. I've had the batteries in two controllers die on me and unlike the 360 (where you can just get a new £6 battery), on the PS3 you have to replace the whole flippin controller
  • The hard drive (mine is a 40gb) is also too small due to having to install nearly every game due to the slow speed of the blu-ray drive.
  • Very average looking lineup for the next year
Other than that I suppose it is ok . You can see how much I use it when you look at the numebr of games I have for it. About 10 for the PS3, well over 100 for the 360...
Iain, I think some of those points are a little unfair...
  • Totally agree about cross platform games tending to work better on 360
  • I've had zero problems with the online service.
  • Social networking services like Home don't interest me so I can't comment, but it's certainly an interesting first attempt.
  • I don't think either consoles upscale DVDs via component, do they ? Get yourself an HDMI switch box!
  • Another subjective one - I find the 360's controllers too BIG. I find the Sony ones an ideal size and weight. And I MUCH prefer the rechargeable batteries on the Sony wireless controllers. I have power saving turned on and they seem to last for ages.
  • My hard drive (40GB) is just over half full and subsequently fine.

After all that, and knowing the poor reliability record of the 360, my PS3 is the only one of the two that buggered. That was tempered slightly by Sony only taking 4 days to replace the thing with a delivery guy exchanging at the door.

Excusing reliability, I think Microsoft did the more accurate job of giving the public a next-gen console at the price point they needed.
Old 21 December 2008, 05:27 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's something to throw into the mix..

I had an original 60gb PS3 and so did my mrs' brother.. we both sold them but he decided he wanted another PS3 and bought the 80gb PS3..

Saw him the other week and he wanted to show me the 'new' PS3 and it's dodgy looking graphics. I went and looked and indeed it did look pants, infact he has the xbox 360 and the same football game on both and said the xbox looked better.

Now we both had the original PS3 and this new one deffinately looked inferior graphically, he was quite keen to show me how bad it looked. We tried swapping the hdmi about on his TV ports etc and it still looked crappy.

Anything in this? ie has the newer PS3 got a lesser graphics card or something? He was most puzzled.
Old 21 December 2008, 06:15 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spectrum48k
Iain, I think some of those points are a little unfair...
  • Another subjective one - I find the 360's controllers too BIG. I find the Sony ones an ideal size and weight. And I MUCH prefer the rechargeable batteries on the Sony wireless controllers. I have power saving turned on and they seem to last for ages.
My hard drive (40GB) is just over half full and subsequently fine.
You must have puny hands, the 360 is spot on

As for battery life, does it last for ages from lack of use , same with the hard drive, get some games for the ps3 and it will soon fill up,

Sony's arrogance is going to be their downfall, they can't even use the well it's a great bluray player card anymore as there are plently of firmware upgradable better players on the market
Old 22 December 2008, 07:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Something like the controllers are subjective. I started off preferring the 360 ones (not the clunky massive original Xbox controllers that were awful) but the more I play on the PS3 ones the closer the gap gets. Think if push came to shove Id still probably go 360 if I had the choice.

I spent a good few weeks debating which one to go for and still believe I made the right choice for me (PS3). However here is one for the 360 crew - games sales for November 2008:

November Console Games Sales: Wii Dominates as Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty Sell Millions - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

CoD: World at War selling the most units per title but 360 selling over double the units of the PS3.

What I did find interesting is that a World of Warcraft expansion pack is up there at the top also. Who says PC gaming is dying?

Also interesting is the number of Wii titles in the lists. Wii Fit still selling very strongly as is Mario Kart.

Simon
Old 23 December 2008, 11:02 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I actually sat and played COD4 on my PS3 last night and gasp i actually enjoyed myself while my PS3 was turned on!!! The controller is a weak point and on COD4 on default keys are dreadful but with a little bit of tweaking you can get it to me almost as enjoyable as playing it with the Xbox controller.

My hands gets very sore very quickly with playing the PS3 though
Old 23 December 2008, 01:22 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Can you post a pic of your hands Im baffled - controller is perfect for me
Old 23 December 2008, 02:56 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

PS3 controller makes my hands hurt after about half an hour. Can use the 360 controllers for several hours in one sitting

Quick Reply: PS3 Tomorrow - any tips?