Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP x64 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2008, 08:29 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windows XP x64 Questions

So, eventually built the new intel dual core PC last weekend and, without thinking, installed XP 32 bit onto it as normal. I only realised my "mistake" when I went to load up the mobo drivers and found they were all 64 bit drivers.

Have been onto the mobo manufacturers website and they don't do 32 bit drivers for the board. The most up date drivers are all 64 bit.

I then installed a copy of XP x64 and we were up and running. I also run a couple of virual machines for software that won't run in a native 64 bit environment; however there are certain instances where this is not ideal.

My real problem is this; every now and then the machine hangs for a moment or two, as a delayed reaction to a command, e.g. close a window or finish an app install. This behaviour is becoming more frustrating and the timespan where the machine hangs is increasing, hence my post.

The XP 64 bit install is service pack 2. Despite intensive searching I could not find a more recent service pack although SP3 32 bit exists for x86 versions.

I do not want to move to Vista unless I absolutely have to. Any suggestions on what I can do to solve this problem?

Many thanks

WB
Old 20 November 2008, 10:38 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had that it was trying to access a mounted cd image ..
Old 21 November 2008, 03:45 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Interesting comments. I do have a virtual machine installed within the native OS; however its not in the use at the moment. I might just delete it and see if this cures the problem.

Not convinced this is the cause but you never know.

Any other ideas from anyone please?

many thanks

WB
Old 21 November 2008, 07:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Being honest, I'm suprised there aren't 32bit drivers for your board. Because the 64bit drivers maybe newer revisions, it doesn't make the older 32bit ones obselete (why update a driver that works and is stable? Ain't broke - don't fix).

In my opinion, its either XP 32 and/or Vista x64. As XP x64 is a bit of a dead end OS IMHO

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 November 2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 22 November 2008, 12:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XP 64 is the biggest pile of **** ever ...

Vista 64 has been running on my machine since Jan and has not crashed once .. I have only had maybe two programs refuse to run .. both being cheap little freeware things ...
Old 22 November 2008, 01:00 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Ali-B, Pimmo,

Thanks for your inputs. Pimmo, you don't hold back when you need to speak your mind then There are definitely no 32 bit drivers available for this board. Have just been back to the manufacturers site and had another look.
Looks like I might have to move to 64 bit Vista after all.

Perhaps the solution is to run Vista 64 as the native OS and use virtual machines to get round any compatibilty issues that I might get (Oh why can't these things be simple to do).

If anyone else has any other opinions please let me know. Appreciate the inputs so far.

WB

PS: Steve, its not the virtual machine. Deleted it and still had the same problems
Old 22 November 2008, 01:19 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Ali-B, Pimmo,

Thanks for your inputs. Pimmo, you don't hold back when you need to speak your mind then There are definitely no 32 bit drivers available for this board. Have just been back to the manufacturers site and had another look.
Looks like I might have to move to 64 bit Vista after all.

Perhaps the solution is to run Vista 64 as the native OS and use virtual machines to get round any compatibilty issues that I might get (Oh why can't these things be simple to do).

If anyone else has any other opinions please let me know. Appreciate the inputs so far.

WB

PS: Steve, its not the virtual machine. Deleted it and still had the same problems

Its only my opinion at the end of the day ..

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2008, 10:45 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Ah well, here's where I may have to totally reconsider my options. Vista 64 bit costs a whopping £229 for something I am not 100% sure will do what I want it to do

Unless you guys can advise a cheaper source (pm me if you prefer) then the sensible thing to do would be to move to Linux as my native OS and then run virtual machines to cover off Windows, although this solution is not ideal (see my other thread on Virtual machines).

Can't believe how convoluted a simple install is becoming. I built the PC from the gound up in about half an hour whilst having a relaxing cup of tea, then spend half my entire lifetime trying to sort out OS issues! Bol**cks or what?!

Should have gone to Tesco's (should have gone to specsavers mode)........

WB

Last edited by wacky.banana; 22 November 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 22 November 2008, 11:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its a new computer - why get an OEM copy? :-

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English - Ebuyer

Thats for Premium, not sure if your needs mean you need Buisness or ultimate. But even then, Ultimate x64 OEM is £155

Only downside is its more tricky to transfer to another computer/upgrade: In the worst case I needed to call MS and re-activate, speak to a Indian with an American accent and try and get them to understand that a part went faulty and it was replaced (faulty hard drive - true as well ) .

Also the retail copy has both 64bit versions and 32bit in the same box. OEM doesn't.
Old 22 November 2008, 11:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Ah well, here's where I may have to totally reconsider my options. Vista 64 bit costs a whopping £229 for something I am not 100% sure will do what I want it to do

Unless you guys can advise a cheaper source (pm me if you prefer) then the sensible thing to do would be to move to Linux as my native OS and then run virtual machines to cover off Windows, although this solution is not ideal (see my other thread on Virtual machines).

Can't believe how convoluted a simple install is becoming. I built the PC from the gound up in about half an hour whilst having a relaxing cup of tea, then spend half my entire lifetime trying to sort out OS issues! Bol**cks or what?!

Should have gone to Tesco's (should have gone to specsavers mode)........

WB
Download it ..
Old 22 November 2008, 11:36 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Ali_B,

£85 is much easier on the pocket than the price I saw earlier. Thanks for the link.

Pimmo, you have PM.

WB
Old 22 November 2008, 11:51 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Ali_B,

£85 is much easier on the pocket than the price I saw earlier. Thanks for the link.

Pimmo, you have PM.

WB
No I wont send you Vista in return for dirty photos !!!!

you have PM
Old 22 November 2008, 07:13 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

@ Pimmo,

Very funny. You have another pm off me.

Now exactly which pictures of that hairy 6 legged sheep you wanted again...

WB
Old 22 November 2008, 07:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Doing it now ...
Old 23 November 2008, 10:02 PM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure but I don't think the home premium version supports virtualization, which you'd probably want for virtual PC's (spotted your virtual PC post).
Old 23 November 2008, 10:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Yeah you need ultimate .. shame you cant get someone to upload it over 24 hours ...
Old 24 November 2008, 09:57 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cole,

Thanks for the heads-up on the virtualisation issue. Seems like its Vista Ultimate then if I want to stick with Windows as I hear Windows 7 is not only in early beta but highly unstable as well.

Must admit that the Linux route as my native 64 bit OS is looking more sensible by the day, given the cost of WU. If I can then run VM's through it and overcome the USB issue then I could live with that setup quite easily.

I'm off to think on what I want to do.

Cheers

WB
Old 24 November 2008, 04:14 PM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

You will have to consider the virtualization feature for Linux too, some distro's may or may not have it.

Judging from your testing I'd take a guess that you're going to get bored of trying various things soon, give Windows Server 2008 a try, you may like it.
2008 Server's pre recession price was just under £400 for the standard version, it would have a much longer lifespan compared with Vista or Windows 7.
Prices should be forced down again just after xmas.

Last edited by c-o-l-e; 24 November 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 24 November 2008, 06:02 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

i've no probs with xp 64bit...

does vista 64 bit support unsigned drivers yet? hmm.
Old 25 November 2008, 01:25 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

cole,

Thanks for your response. Yes, you are absolutely right, I am becoming disenchanted with all the faffing around. I just want a system that works asap so I can get on with my life

I hear what you are saying on the Linux distros. I quite like Fedora; however I need to look at that again in the light of your comments.

Windows 2008 server eh? Hmmmm....

Dave W,

Nice to see some of the old names still on here . I wasn't expecting any problems with Xp64 but I have them. I share your reservations re Vista whch is why I went with xp64 in the first place.

Oh decisons, decisions....

WB
Old 25 November 2008, 10:26 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

give virtualbox a crack ...

Steve
Old 26 November 2008, 10:01 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Default Update

Its sorted (I hope). Stuck Vista Ultimate 64 bit onto the system last night and..........what a revelation (sic?). I really was not expecting much from Vista apart from a fancy front end; however it flies!

No clunkiness as with XP 64 (that's saying something as I rate XP), everything works, and fast, and it seems pretty stable at the minute.

Still finishing off the install, should be done by late tonight. All I have got to do after that is to sort out the USB device access issue through my virtual machines. Pesky irritating problem but I am sure there is a solution out there somewhere.

Thanks for all the inputs here and especially to Pimmo who went well beyond the call of duty to try and help me out (much appreciated, old chap, even though it didn't quite work out). Glad to see that some of the old fashoned principles that were the norm on here when I first joined eons ago are still going strong....

WB