Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Static IP address

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2008, 08:45 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Static IP address

Anyone help a novice set this up rather than phoning my ISP.

Cheers

Roo
Old 11 November 2008, 09:21 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Your only going to have a static IP address if your ISP allocates you one. Some do this for free / as standard, some charge you extra. Most ISPs like Tiscali etc. will do dynamic IP address allocation so pretty much every time you connect you'll get a different one.

Suggest you will need to phone your ISP (or look on their support pages / FAQ) to find out what you've got and if it is static what address they've given you.
Old 11 November 2008, 09:23 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

what you want doing though its a bit vague, send me a pm and get teamviewer and I'll give you a hand... next hour though if not tomoz
Daz
Old 11 November 2008, 09:43 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

You could have a look here ... www.portforward.com Tells you all you need to know about setting it up. I tried for a few days so I could get Utorrent to download quicker.

better link ... PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Last edited by kbsub; 11 November 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 10:16 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Are you hosting an email / Web server? As mentioned there is no need for the home user to have a static IP. If you do need one then I suggest investing in network security other than windows default firewall.
Are you planning to use a server DNS as a gateway for internet use?
Sorry for the questions but its an unusual request, that why I ask.
Old 11 November 2008, 10:26 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I had read that you need a static IP address so you can open ports up on your Router which then lets programs like Utorrent download quicker or are we at cross purposes here
Old 12 November 2008, 08:24 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
I had read that you need a static IP address so you can open ports up on your Router which then lets programs like Utorrent download quicker or are we at cross purposes here
Public IP address (your visible address to the outside world) wouldn't make a difference if it was fixed or dymanic for torrent.

Internal private address (i.e. 192.168.xxx.xxx)? If you have UPnP enabled on your router the ports should open for you regardless of you internal address as your PC sets requests to the router to open ports to it.

If the application (or your router) doesnt support UPnP (most do) then yes a static IP would be needed as you would have to manually have to open ports to an internal address on your network. i.e. open TCP 3389 to IP 192.168.1.10

this would open remote desktop to the address 192.168.1.10 but the machine would always have to have the same IP address on your network, to do this you can manually configure the address on the workstation (control panel > network connections) or my fave option which some routers have. Static IP addresses via DHCP which uses the physical (MAC) address of your machine (start > run > cmd > pconfig /all) and bind it to an IP address
Old 12 November 2008, 08:40 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Why can't you phone your ISP to get one ? It only takes 5 minutes !! I set one up so our security system can be monitored remotely
Old 12 November 2008, 08:46 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you're wanting a static hostname, you could use something like: DynDNS.com - Services -- Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service

Many routers can automatically update these services with your new IP if it changes, but you can also log into the page to update it.
Old 12 November 2008, 09:52 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
what you want doing though its a bit vague, send me a pm and get teamviewer and I'll give you a hand... next hour though if not tomoz
Daz
Sorry mate, live in Queensland now so a few hours different. Will get teamviewer when not at work, then pm you

Roo