Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Vista Service Pack 2

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2008, 10:39 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vista Service Pack 2

Anyone know what's in it?
Old 31 October 2008, 09:07 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I think it's still in early beta isn't it? That means the "features" are still not set in stone.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

**** all probably seeing as win7 will be out soon.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:39 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Blimey Oct/Nov 2009 isn't what I'd call soon, and of course everyone will want to use a new version of Winows straight away, not.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:54 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

geez chill out yeah. I wasn't having a go, just posting the obvious.

And it's less than a yr away anyway, not long in my book. I always get the latest version, just cause you don't doesn't mean it's the norm
Old 31 October 2008, 10:25 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Bug fixes and hardware support mainly, but adds Windows Search 4.0, the Bluetooth 2.1 Feature Pack supporting the most recent specification for Bluetooth Technology, the ability to record data on to Blu-Ray media natively, Windows Connect Now (WCN) and SP2 enables the exFAT file system to support UTC timestamps.

Nothing at all to get excited about.
Old 31 October 2008, 11:27 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
geez chill out yeah. I wasn't having a go, just posting the obvious.
I wasn't either. I was merely pointing out that(not very well obviously) whilst some people are quite happy to adopt the latest version, that there is a lot of FUD around new versions of Windows, with the inevitable "Got to wait for SP1" cries from the talking heads.

Fwiw, I was a beta tester for W95, W95SR2, W98, SE and ME. The only reason I don't now is because I can't be arsed, and as I work with PC's all day, when I go home I just want something that works. Like Vista on my laptop and desktop that I've been running for about 6 months.

Perhaps I should of put a " " at the end of my post? WHOOOAAA, that wasn't a dig at your btw!
Old 01 November 2008, 03:03 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

What is/was your Beta test digits Chunky? I was part of the Beta 6a Connect team many a year ago.
Old 01 November 2008, 08:52 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

If their adding the same windows search that XP has now then avoid, its pants, Ive already switched it off.
Old 01 November 2008, 12:32 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
If their adding the same windows search that XP has now then avoid, its pants, Ive already switched it off.
how do you switch it off ?
Old 01 November 2008, 02:09 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
What is/was your Beta test digits Chunky? I was part of the Beta 6a Connect team many a year ago.
Christ knows. What sort of thing am I looking for? My current mailbox only goes back to August 2000. I think I might still have the W95 Beta CD in the loft somewhere, I kept it because it was such a historic item! I got involved in the W95 one through a company I was a contractor for, then was directly employed by. They were a major user of MS OS'es and had been involved from earlier on, looking at moving their applications over from WfW and DOS to 95. Towards the end of the W95 Beta, the customer service/ support engineers were asked if they were interested in getting a sneak preview, and some of us were lucky(or unlucky) enough to be chosen. It was organised via the company. What was really funny was that the company had already decided that 95 wasn't stable enough for the applications involved. The apps moved from WfW3.11 and DOS to NT3.1, then 3.5, 3.51, 4, W2K Pro.

It seemed that once I was on the "correct" list at MS, every time they got towards the RC stage of a new version of the W9x tree, they'd contact me and ask if I wanted a copy. I think they thought I was someone important at a large global company, maybe the "Senior" bit in my job title confused them, the fact that I didn't have any one below me was irrelevant. I always had two PC's on the go at home, so one always ended up being the sacrificial goat. I left the company a few years ago, so don't get the spam from MS any more.

I enjoyed the W95 experience so much, that I ended up buying OS/2 Warp, then I moved to NT4, W2kPro, XP Pro, as that was what I used at work, and I now run Vista. I only really used the 9x line for things that wouldn't run on anything else, mainly games. I paid for 98, ME, XP Pro and Vista, anything in between I either didn't use or came with hardware.