Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

More iPhone news for Markus...

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 02:27 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More iPhone news for Markus...

Rogers Launches Flexible Price Packages for Apple iPhone 3G=

maybe not what you wanted though...
Old 27 June 2008, 02:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

400MB for $60, that's a fecking joke. That is also ignoring the system access fee, and if you want caller ID it'll cost another $15 a month.

Not a complete shock to be honest, we all knew Rogers would stiff the consumer. I'd be interested to see if the Fido plans are any different. Also I'm still waiting to see what it will cost me, as an existing subscriber, to switch from my current phone/plan to an iPhone 3G.
Old 27 June 2008, 02:44 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

You need to come over and have an O2 contract - we get a pretty decent deal.

(just forget about the cost of petrol, gas, electric, food etc etc etc)
Old 27 June 2008, 02:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've posted the link (thanks messiah) on hackintosh, so we'll see what kind of "debate" occurs.

The sad thing is, Rogers knows it does have a winner here, there will always be a small group of moaners who won't go the iPhone route because of the plans for various reasons, but the majority of people will just cough up and pay. I'd be interested to see what the charge is for going over your data limit is.

Don't suppose anyone knows of an OS X app that will monitor my web usage, as in how many MB's I'm using when surfing? I'm wondering if I really would use 400MB a month, as the majority of surfing I'd do on the iMac. It'd probably be the odd search when out and about, and the GPS functions, and also checking email.
Old 27 June 2008, 03:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Prior to this announcement there were rumors of a $30 data plan, and you are required to have a voice and data plan with the iPhone. So for me it would be my current $40 (includes tax, system access fee, 911 fee and enhanced voicemail) plus an additional $30 for the data plan, bringing it to $70 per month. Now, I'm not sure what the MB allocation for that $30 would have been, given the above, probably 200MB.

I doubt very much the $60 includes taxes, or the system access and 911 fees, so let's do some math:

$60.00 - Price plan
$00.50 - 911 Access fee
$06.95 - System Access fee
$15.00 - Caller ID

$82.45 - Sub Total

$04.13 - GST (it's actually $4.1225, but we'll round up)
$06.60 - PST (it's actually $6.596, but we'll round up)

$10.73 - Total Taxes

$93.18 - Complete Monthly Total.

This of course excludes the price of the iPhone itself, and any associated fees if you want to cross-grade, presuming you can, from your existing plan if your a current subscriber. I know it'll cost me $400 ECF (Early Cancellation Fee) as I've got more than 20 months on my 3 year plan left, so ignoring any cross-grade offers, I'd probably be looking at...

$299.00 - 16GB iPhone 3G
$337.87 including taxes

$400 - ECF (not sure if taxes apply to that or not, we'll say not for the moment)

$737.87 - Final cost of new iPhone and ECF to get out of current contract.

Then we add on the $93 a month for the new plan. Rogers is going to make a killing here, and they know it!

I'd be interested to know what the charges for going over your data limit are, as people will think 300 is too low and go with a higher plan, thus making even more money for Rogers.

Last edited by Markus; 27 June 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 27 June 2008, 03:45 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

The Macrumors members aren't too impressed!

Can't say I blame 'em. You're really being screwed.

Edit: Some one has posted the exact thing on there Markus lol
Old 27 June 2008, 03:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Just seen the MR link, looks like it's to the Fido announcement rather than Rogers, but they are the same company. Some were hoping for slightly better (cheaper) plans from Fido, as they are typically cheaper than Rogers.

Bottom line, we're getting fecked over by Rogers, as per usual, and there is **** all we can really do about it.

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2008, 05:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Someone on another forum was talking about just purchasing an iPhone 3G from Rogers then jailbreaking it. I thought I'd post my reply to them, as others on here may be thinking the same (I'm not trying to be big-headed here, just trying to be helpful)

The other factor here is that you will not be able to purchase an iPhone 3G without also signing a contract with Rogers. You cannot, as you could with the 1st gen, purchase it, walk out the store, jailbreak it and use it with another carrier.

Again some math...

$337.87 - 16GB iPhone 3G including taxes*
$76.22 - One month's worth of contract, even if you don't use the phone**
$100.00 - Min Early Cancellation Fee (not including tax, unsure if it does or not)
$514.09 - Total price for obtaining the 16GB iPhone 3G and freeing it from Rogers.

*This is the rumored subsidized price. It's possible they may offer PAYG, or an unsubsidized phone for a higher price, so the total cost would be even more.

**I recall seeing something about AT&T requiring you to return the phone to them if you cancel within 30 days, thus preventing people just buying the phone and canceling on the spot to jailbreak it. I would fully expect the same to be true with Rogers. If not then I'd expect you to be hit up with the max $400 Early Cancellation Fee.

There is another factor here and that is that the iPhone 2.0 firmware is not final yet, and the phones are not out, so it is still unknown wether they can be jailbroken. I'm sure a lot of effort will be put into it, as with the 1st gen iPhone, however, it could take time. Also, even if you did jailbreak it, who are you going to use as a carrier? Do any other Carriers provide high-speed 3G GSM services in Canada?
Old 27 June 2008, 05:22 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for you matey, I really do

* checks date on calender...yup not long now *
Old 30 June 2008, 03:06 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

***Rogers iPhone 3G In-Store Activation Process Explained*** - iPhone in Canada Forums - The Canadian iPhone Online Community

more details regarding canadian activation...
Old 30 June 2008, 05:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Interesting. I wonder if that nice little storeactivation thing will be of any use to those looking to jailbreak the 3G?

I did get a reply from Rogers when asking about existing customers who are not eligable for an upgrade but wish to obtain an iPhone, this is what was said:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your use of online customer service.

In your recent email, you have informed us that you are interested in the Apple iPhone.

We apologize; at this time, there are no further details available regarding the overall launch of the iPhone including retail availability, functionality and pricing."

Ah well, not a complete shock, but you would have thought they would have answers to give prior to launch, it's not as if it's six months away, plus they have the price plan info out there, so they must know what they are going to do. Perhaps they just don't want to pish people off even more than they already are with their price plans.

Last edited by Markus; 30 June 2008 at 05:26 PM.