Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recommendations for buying bulk graphics PC's?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 11:26 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a place where my department can buy about 15 graphics PC's where we can specify dual processor and dual graphics card (2xmonitors) desktops?

We've approached the following:

Mesh
Compaq (we currently have approx 15,000 desktops from Compaq, but for our spec they are proving to be expensive)
Carrera.

Important factors include:

Service support
Price
Quality of components
Good graphics cards (GeForce currently a favourite, but can you use 2 of them?)

Your help is mucho appreciated..

Cem

[Edited by Blow Dog - 2/1/2002 11:28:27 AM]
Old 01 February 2002, 11:36 AM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

I got a carrera PC cem and it is not as good when compared to my mesh one I had. Although carrera are cheaper I would deffinately recommended mesh. Carrera did give us a hefty discount though when we bought just three.
Old 01 February 2002, 11:36 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Cool

I personally like Dell pc's, for support etc...

I thought Geforce cards have dual monitor outputs?!?! If not, (I use a ATI Radeon), you wont be able to run 2 Geforce cards as they are AGP only.

Why are you using Geforce for graphics workstations?!?! I know ther are cheap but would have thought a specific OpenGL card would be better?!?!?

H
Old 01 February 2002, 11:39 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

H,

Any recommendations for graphics cards then? I'm only assuming GeForce cards are good because of modern technology and driver support and also price.

I know that Number9 cards used to be the don, but now?

Cem
Old 01 February 2002, 11:45 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cem,
it really depends on what you want the workstation to do. If you are after a Photoshop type workstation the the GeForce cards are fine for this. But if we are talking about Maya, 3D Studio Max, Autocad etc. then those Nvidia Quadro type cards are a better bet.

I'll try and find that article I was reading about comparing the cards etc..

H
Old 01 February 2002, 11:46 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Many thanks H.
Old 01 February 2002, 11:47 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ahhh Number 9 Cards, Imagine II etc... I've still got one of those beauties somewhere in one of my Mac's
Old 01 February 2002, 03:18 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Smile

Blowdog,

If your after some professional graphics card then take a look at this link. The article is fairly old, so it might be best to have a look on the manufactures websites for the latest info.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...615/index.html

HTH
rr
Old 01 February 2002, 04:25 PM
ChrisB

Aren't Carrera something to do with SSC now?

I'm sure I read something a while back about the Quadro cards being no different from the GeForce due to a registry setting or something.
Old 01 February 2002, 05:37 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris - The Quadro cards based on the Geforce2 GPU were indentical. I believe u have to solder a bridge on the card to enable the additional OpenGL features along with the reg tweak - Was so long ago that I read the article I can't fully remember now Hopefully Nvidia will bring out a Quadro card based on the GF3 soon.

rr
Old 01 February 2002, 05:54 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner is pretty spot on. There is actually a Quadro card based on the GF3's, call the Quadro DCC. The soldering trick is definetly the better choice, but not my idea of fun. I have spent a fair bit of time playing with the Nvidia Detonantor Driver/protection patching, in order to mod to a Quadro and my colleagues trying with GF2's and have found it to make very little difference to these cards. Don't even contemplate trying the mods on a GF2MX-based cards, due to the lack of pipelines, or whatever compared with their uncrippled brothers, they completely croak in OpenGL.

I can give you the hyperlink to a 20-odd page on software Quadro modding for the above, but I warn you, it is one big-*** read and IMO best avoided.

Cheers,

Nick

Old 01 February 2002, 07:10 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Smile

we currently have approx 15,000 desktops from Compaq

What do you do with that may computers cem ?

David
Old 04 February 2002, 10:43 AM
Biggus
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Have you thought about using the Elsa Synergy III?

Quote from advertiser bumf:

The Future-Ready Dual-Screen Solution for Professionals

The ELSA Synergy III™ is currently the most flexible graphics solution for professional 2D/3D applications. One monitor isn't enough for a professional—that's why two can be hooked up to the ELSA Synergy III. Just about any monitor will do. In just about any combination. Analog or digital, VGA or DVI... simply plug them in. Professional 3D work on two monitors requires high levels of 3D power—ELSA Synergy III takes its power from the Quadro2 MXR from NVIDIA. This graphics chip is based on the second generation of the prize-winning Transform&Lighting (T&L) engine from NVIDIA. The Quadro2 MXR computes up to 25 million polygons/second and is right up in front in the top class of 3D accelerators. Every ELSA Synergy III is accompanied by the renowned ELSA Software Advantage™ —a package of professional extensions for the leading CAD applications. With the ELSA Synergy III, professionals extend their possibilities, increase productivity and make themselves ready for the future.

Combine these with an Asus Dual Intel or Athlon system with 1Gig of DDR an you are smiling.

Regards

Richard
Old 04 February 2002, 10:48 AM
Biggus
Scooby Newbie

Further to my previous message. The retail on this card is £299 which is with the range of a Geforce 3. But drop me an email if we are talking quantity - I may be able to help.

Regards

Richard