Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Burning DVD ISO on single layer disc

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 09:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning DVD ISO on single layer disc

If i copy a movie, i use CloneDVD and it allows you to strip out unwanted chapters & soundtracks and compresses the remaineder so you can fit it on a single layer disc.

The problem i have now is that i'm moving abroad. So i've bought a WD 1TB HDD. My idea was to create ISOs of my movies, leave the originals here and just take a HDD abroad with everything we want on it.

I can create the ISOs easily enough. Then i mounted the ISO using Fantom DVD. Now i can select it with CloneDVD to burn. Except that it hangs and crashes the computer through every burn i've tried.

I don't want to start ripping my collection to ISOs, only for me not to be able to burn them. I know i should be able to stream it, but i doubt we'll have that hardware whilst we're settling in.

What should i do or use to make this happen? I've got about 200 DVDs and it would be nice to watch a movie i've bought already overseas.
Old 17 April 2008, 09:26 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I can create the ISOs easily enough. Then i mounted the ISO using Fantom DVD. Now i can select it with CloneDVD to burn.
Why you mounting before burning?
Just use your burning app (or IMGBurn) and just burn the iso.
Old 18 April 2008, 11:59 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the very capable IMGBurn...

as HS says, just make your ISO and then burn your ISO... couldn't really be simpler! I'd advise using a write speed a couple of steps down from your disk/drive maximum write speed...

...so if you have a burner and disks capable of 16x write, don't use 16x or 8x, use 4x... If you have a burner and disks capable of 8x, don't use 8x or 4x, use 2x... etc. This way, you'll normally get better burns with less chance of errors or coasters.

DN
Old 18 April 2008, 08:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

With IMGBurn, does it allow you to strip bits out before compressing like CloneDVD?

As the few ISOs i tried were 8 odd GB, which obviously don't fit on a single layer.

Say if there's DTS and DD5.1 on there, would like to remove DD5.1, the subtitles, directors commentary etc, before compressing, so get the best quality burn possible.
Old 18 April 2008, 09:14 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

IMG Burn is only for burning disk images, it won't do anything to video or audio contents.

I'm lost in your process...

You've taken a dvd, stripped out what you want to get it small, ripped it to an iso and then you want to burn it?

How much of that have you done?

How I do it is:
Use DVD Shrink to generate a single layer sized iso - 10-20 mins
If I ever want to burn (which I rarely do), use imgburn to burn the iso - 5-10 mins
Old 18 April 2008, 09:16 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Eh????

You've said in your first post "I can create the ISOs easy enough" - so just create them as you normally would, using CloneDVD I guess (though I normally use DVD Shrink), and then burn them to blank 4.7GB DVD-Rs using IMGBurn.
Old 18 April 2008, 09:17 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

LOL - Ditto Hank... same answer, prob typed at the same time!
Old 23 April 2008, 02:06 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
IMG Burn is only for burning disk images, it won't do anything to video or audio contents.

I'm lost in your process...

You've taken a dvd, stripped out what you want to get it small, ripped it to an iso and then you want to burn it?

How much of that have you done?

How I do it is:
Use DVD Shrink to generate a single layer sized iso - 10-20 mins
If I ever want to burn (which I rarely do), use imgburn to burn the iso - 5-10 mins
OK, i think we're all getting confused.

Normally i would burn a DVD using CloneDVD, it allows you to strip out unwanted chapters etc. Then compresses to fit on a single layer.

My thinking was, create ISOs of my DVD collection.

Then, i wanted to at a later date burn these ISOs. Before burning, i would like to strip out unwanted chapters/soundtracks, like i can do with the original.

Removing some content allows for less compression of the DVD, so would like to keep that.

I can't just burn the ISO straight as it's too much for a single layer, but equally i wanted to avoid compressing the ISO too much.

Just trying to get the best video i can, but still have my movie collection portable.

I guess my question is; is there a tool or a special way how i can strip content from a DVD ISO before burning??
Old 23 April 2008, 02:08 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

To add, CloneDVD does not allow you to strip the movie prior to creating an ISO, it just does the whole thing. That's probably where the confusion is coming in. The ISO is the full DVD.

Some movies have both DTS & DD5.1, which take up a lot of space. So that's why i'd like to remove certain parts prior to burning to reduce the compression.

Hope that makes sense.

Just wanted to see what my options are before i rip the 200-odd DVDs and if there's a good way to do it.

Help is appreciated.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:14 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just trying to get the best video i can, but still have my movie collection portable.
In that case go for a standalone media player with HDD.
I use this: with a 30gb hdd Portable OTG USB 2.0 Hard Disk Divx Media Center Player on eBay, also, Internal External Hard Drives, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 25-Apr-08 16:41:54 BST)
or you can get them with the HDD built in:

160G Portable OTG USB HardDisk Divx Media Center Player on eBay, also, Internal External Hard Drives, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 02-May-08 16:12:24 BST)

They will play DIVX which is DVD quality. There are many DIVX ripping programs about, and a normal DVD will be about 700mb (film only). They also play VOB files straight from a DVD if you still wanted to do it that way.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:28 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if you have the iso, could you not then mount the image as you have done, then use the dvd burning on nero to copy the video ts folder (which you can get from selecting the mounted image). Nero operates like my computer in the browser window so you can select the mounted drive letter, and then copy the contents as mentioned into the nero burning window.

Also I think there is another nero package that will allow you to remove additional extras etc and fit it to whatever size you wanted, will have a look at my pc when I get home later
Old 23 April 2008, 06:09 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

If you've got the full 8+GB ISO image, then just use DaemonTools (or whatever the CloneDVD equivalent is - ah, found it "Virtual Clone Drive") to remount the ISO image so that it appears to be a DVD...

Surely then you can just use CloneDVD again to strip out what you want and burn to DVD?

Personally, again, I'd not bother with CloneDVD - use DVD Shrink and then IMGBurn...
Old 23 April 2008, 07:54 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Dr No in first this time

Use DVD Shrink to strip and compress the iso as a first step, then live with the stripped, resized ISO files on your hdd, if you want to watch on your PC, mount them, if you want to watch on your DVD player, burn them.
Old 24 April 2008, 11:42 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
In that case go for a standalone media player with HDD.
I use this: with a 30gb hdd Portable OTG USB 2.0 Hard Disk Divx Media Center Player on eBay, also, Internal External Hard Drives, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 25-Apr-08 16:41:54 BST)
or you can get them with the HDD built in:

160G Portable OTG USB HardDisk Divx Media Center Player on eBay, also, Internal External Hard Drives, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 02-May-08 16:12:24 BST)

They will play DIVX which is DVD quality. There are many DIVX ripping programs about, and a normal DVD will be about 700mb (film only). They also play VOB files straight from a DVD if you still wanted to do it that way.
Ah, now i know what they are called. Thanks. A friend took one on holiday and it was a great little gadget. As i've just splashed out for a WD1TB, i'll have to stick with that solution.
Old 24 April 2008, 11:43 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
If you've got the full 8+GB ISO image, then just use DaemonTools (or whatever the CloneDVD equivalent is - ah, found it "Virtual Clone Drive") to remount the ISO image so that it appears to be a DVD...

Surely then you can just use CloneDVD again to strip out what you want and burn to DVD?
Yeah, i tried this, but everytime i tried to burn the computer hung and crashed.

I've only been using CloneDVD as i bought it and it's dead simple to use.

I will check out Joey's Nero suggestion, as i also have that. Then failing that i'll check out DVD Shrink & IMGBurn. Are they freeware??
Old 24 April 2008, 08:28 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

i'll check out DVD Shrink & IMGBurn. Are they freeware??
Sure are, my favourite price