Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Web surfing - laptop or tablet?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2008, 01:33 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Web surfing - laptop or tablet?

I have a laptop in the lounge that I got for free from my wifes work as they were saying it was too slow for anyone to use, and I'm not surprised running XP with 128mb RAM

So they bought a new laptop and I acquired the old one, and shoved in 1gb of RAM and all was well. It will only run off the mains as the battery is dead, but it has been ideal for web surfing in the evening.

But...the XP software is part of a corporate license that has been transferred, so none of the MS updates will apply properly, and last week it was over run with spyware, adware and general hijacking/trojans so I de-comissioned it

I don't know what to look at buying now, I want something purely for surfing the web of an evening in the lounge (to stop me from being locked away upstairs), but buying a £400 laptop just for surfing seems a bit of overkill. the net tablets look good but a bit small (Nokia 2810 thing or Asus EEE).

Is there another way that doesn't use the TV?
Old 18 January 2008, 03:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

refurbished/second-hand lap-top?
Old 18 January 2008, 03:40 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

could you not have just got a new xp code and reinstall it ?
Old 18 January 2008, 04:10 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

How much for a new XP license?

I just fancy a newer laptop - this one is a Mitac 8175 or something, and as said the battery doesn't work, its heavy and the Wifi is a card stuck in the side which isn't great.

A new battery is £95 for it, plus a copy of XP and you're approaching new lappy status.
Old 18 January 2008, 05:48 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

I got an eeePC to muck around with this week. Great for surfing the web in front of the TV of an evening. Screen size hasn't been an issue for me...

iPod Touch / iPhone run Safari which works pretty well with the clever zoom/touch interface. No keyboard is a pain though... but i read news.bbc.co.uk no problem everyday on mine.
Old 15 February 2008, 10:06 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlexJReid
I got an eeePC to muck around with this week. Great for surfing the web in front of the TV of an evening. Screen size hasn't been an issue for me...

iPod Touch / iPhone run Safari which works pretty well with the clever zoom/touch interface. No keyboard is a pain though... but i read news.bbc.co.uk no problem everyday on mine.
Running Linux or XP??? Whatsit like?? I've been thinking about buying myself and the wife one - both as a much smaller business laptop (obviously as well as a 'proper' laptop), and also for the evening surfing from the sofa.

Any initial feedback appreciated... but I think I'm going to wait (or even order) the 8GB/1GB RAM Windows XP model that's due out in a couple of months.
Old 15 February 2008, 03:24 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

One of our customers is rolling out several hundred eeePC's to all the kids running XP with Office and web browsing
Old 15 February 2008, 03:31 PM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Running Linux or XP??? Whatsit like?? I've been thinking about buying myself and the wife one - both as a much smaller business laptop (obviously as well as a 'proper' laptop), and also for the evening surfing from the sofa.

Any initial feedback appreciated... but I think I'm going to wait (or even order) the 8GB/1GB RAM Windows XP model that's due out in a couple of months.
eeePC is a great bit of kit for the money.

I'm still running the peculiar Linux distro that it comes with out of the box. Think it'd be painful running Windows as I got the absolute bottom of the range.

Keyboard and track pad are OK once you get used to them.

Mainly it for browsing the web or as an RDC terminal back to my Windows box in the office if I need to use Windows software, albeit remotely.
Skype also works pretty well using the built in microphone.
Old 15 February 2008, 04:15 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alex... trying to find a 4GB/1GB one now (can't wait for the 8GB!) in black.... and it appears that rocking horse **** would be easier to procure!
Old 15 February 2008, 08:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

the 8 gb ones are out now in japan/taiwan

ASUS Eee pc 8g - 2gb ram Windows XP white/black on eBay, also, Laptops, Computing (end time 17-Feb-08 13:56:17 GMT)
Old 16 February 2008, 11:55 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

They are creeping out - but that one IS NOT an 8GB model...

....it's a 4GB one, that they're including a 4GB SD card with. Obviously a total of 8GB of storage, but most definitely NOT an 8GB model!
Old 16 February 2008, 01:31 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not format it and put a free OS and browser on it?