Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FAO Pimmo2000

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2007, 10:59 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO Pimmo2000

Hello,
I'm currently with Virgin Media, but my email address's are still with blueyonder.co.uk.
I'm about to emigrate to Canada, wanted to keep my email address's going but I've been told that because they are through blueyonder.co.uk I have to keep my broadband account at £10 a month to keep them (pity the people buying my house are going to struggle to get broadband when I've got an active account still supplying it )

So do you know of any way I could keep the email address's without having to keep a broadband package?, I don't mind paying...otherwise I'll be swapping over to a gmail/hotmail account and ditching Virgin completley as soon as I've informed everyone and changed all my contact details at 101 forums.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Dan
Old 18 September 2007, 11:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Make the switch now, there's no lower grade email address than an ISP provisioned one.
Old 19 September 2007, 01:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest way to do it would be to find someone you trust with a VM account and have them host it for you.

All you need to is create a mail box on there account.. they can have 4 or 5 I forget, delete the username from yours and create it on theres.

If you are using the original email this makes it harder, you would need to find someone who never uses there VM email and get the tech support to do a move and transfer, you would need yourself and them there but it would only be possible after your account has been closed.

Other than that, there is no way to do it......

Unless you sign up for a dial up account, but I think you need an active phone line to do that. Bit ****.. sorry I couldnt help.
Old 19 September 2007, 04:07 PM
DanPhillips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
The easiest way to do it would be to find someone you trust with a VM account and have them host it for you.

All you need to is create a mail box on there account.. they can have 4 or 5 I forget, delete the username from yours and create it on theres.

If you are using the original email this makes it harder, you would need to find someone who never uses there VM email and get the tech support to do a move and transfer, you would need yourself and them there but it would only be possible after your account has been closed.

Other than that, there is no way to do it......

Unless you sign up for a dial up account, but I think you need an active phone line to do that. Bit ****.. sorry I couldnt help.
Thanks for the info, I figured as much.

I'll start moving the stuff over

Cheers

Dan
Old 19 September 2007, 04:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One suggestion for you. Once you have setup your new account, and I'd recommed gmail rather than hotmail (mainly as, being a mac user who is using Apple's mail app, you can't get Mail.app to use your hotmail account without purchasing a hotmail subscription thing, whereas it's free with gmail), send out an email to all your contacts, or at least those you want to notify of your new address, and specify a different-reply to address, which you set to your gmail account.

What this means is that if anyone replies to this latest new message, it'll actually be sent to your gmail account rather than your blueyonder one.
Old 19 September 2007, 05:30 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I would add it in your sign.