Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple Event Today @ 10AM Pacific / 1PM Eastern

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 05:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Event Today @ 10AM Pacific / 1PM Eastern

Well, another event by Apple today, in 15 mins time.

Speculations are that Apple will announce a new iPod Nano and full size iPod, with the full size iPod being similar to the iPhone, as in, using the touch feauture of the iPhone and being a similar size/design.

Rumors are also around that the nano's may feature larger capacities, possibly 12GB or 16GB flash memory, which is a big improvment of the current max of 8GB.

There is also talk of a possible iPhone software update, which may bring additional features.
Old 05 September 2007, 06:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

New range of iPods.

New Shuffles
New shuffles: $79, 1GB, color refresh, and a RED (for Africa) iPod, no other changes

New Nanos
320 x 240, same as iPod Video, will have coverflow and video capabilities, still 4GB and 8GB. New GUI

New iPod "Classic"
All metal case, 80GB and 160GB size. New GUI (same as nano)

New iPod Touch
Think of an iPhone without the Phone bits. It's got the touch stuff of the iPhone, plus also has WiFi

More soon...
Old 05 September 2007, 06:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

iPod Touch:
Has same version of Safari as the iPhone.

Can watch YouTube over WiFi, as you can on iPhone.

So essentially, it's an iPhone without the phone bits then Probably does not have nor need Bluetooth.

Real question for me is, what storage medium and what capacity. If it's like the iPhone then it's 4GB and 8GB, which is, to be frank, a bloody joke, same as a fricking Nano, and you're iPod Classic has 80 or 160GB.

Last edited by Markus; 05 September 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05 September 2007, 06:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

8GB and 16GB, $299 and $299 respectively. Ships in a few weeks, so later this month.
Old 05 September 2007, 07:18 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Who are you talking to?
Old 05 September 2007, 07:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

4GB iPhone has been discontinued, there's now only going to be the 8GB one and they have dropped the prices by $200, so it's now $399
Old 05 September 2007, 07:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Who are you talking to?
I was reading the live feed on Gizmodo. Unless you mean why am I posting thus stuff as no-one is listening
Old 05 September 2007, 08:26 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
4GB iPhone has been discontinued, there's now only going to be the 8GB one and they have dropped the prices by $200, so it's now $399
How to REALLY test customer loyalty!
Old 05 September 2007, 08:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

like the look of the ipod touch, but i am holding out for the phone.may as well pay the little bit extra and get the phone bits
Old 05 September 2007, 09:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I get an iPhone this weekend.. only for a week bit of testing. I'll post a picture and use the new smug smily.
Old 05 September 2007, 09:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I still think 16GB is woefully small for the TouchPod. I *want* to be able to take my entire music collection with me. I have wide an varied tastes and when I'm out I might want to listen to a song I've not listened to in years. With my current 60GB drive I've got all the music I've owned with me when I'm out.

I can understand that size does play a factor in the capacity and a hard drive based phone would be a bit odd, and and 80GB flashed based phone isn't yet cost effective, but I'd still like the choice to be able to take all my music with me.

I'm also unsure as to how well the touch will work in an in-car setting. For example, I simply have a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA in the car, plugged into the aux port of the stereo, so I manually control the iPod from it's interface. I'm not sure how easy that will be with the new touch iPod.
Old 05 September 2007, 09:20 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I'll get an iPod touch - the fact is without using a hard drive more memory becomes prohibitively expensive.

I think 16GB is enough for most people though, let's say 5000 songs, between 250-500 CDs.

Edit : I imagine the control system will be similar for the touch, after all the iPod classic and Nano still retain the traditional controls but have cover flow etc.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:05 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Think I'll get myself a new Nano.
Old 05 September 2007, 10:17 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Did they mention only one European Automotive oem has got the deal to have the SW to enable playback and integration with the comms pack ?

Mart
Old 06 September 2007, 09:42 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Rumours that the European iPhone will be announced at an Apple event on 25th September - 3G & 16gb model expected.

Hopefully we'll find out which network too.
Old 06 September 2007, 06:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Rumours that the European iPhone will be announced at an Apple event on 25th September - 3G & 16gb model expected.

Hopefully we'll find out which network too.
Its already known.

ORANGE T_MOB & 02 have the licences.

I think we either get O2 or orange (not both)

Mart
Old 06 September 2007, 06:45 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Ordered the 8GB Nano from the online Apple store today. 3% off with Quidco.
Old 06 September 2007, 07:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Its already known.

ORANGE T_MOB & 02 have the licences.

I think we either get O2 or orange (not both)

Mart
As far as I am aware, the carriers have not been officially named, but it's thought that the UK carrier will be O2, with France using Orange and someone else for Germany.

Rumors are that the Apple Expo in Paris starting on the 25th September might well be where it's officially stated who the carriers are and also it might include a release date for the iPhone in the UK and Europe.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:08 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

One question, will my last gen Ipod 80gb get the new 'Classic' gui through some sort of software update? I think I know what the answer will be.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:40 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Agree with Markus 8 and 16GB options is just way too poor. Wont be replacing my 80gb video ipod anytime soon.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisowe
One question, will my last gen Ipod 80gb get the new 'Classic' gui through some sort of software update? I think I know what the answer will be.
Going on previous GUI updates for the iPod, I think it's a big "NO". There's something, and I can't recall what right now, that post 4G iPods had GUI wise that I wanted, but could not get as Apple does not backgrade the option to prior models.

Originally Posted by GaryK
Agree with Markus 8 and 16GB options is just way too poor. Wont be replacing my 80gb video ipod anytime soon.
The battery on my 4G is going, and the backlight is dead, so I am pondering what to do, and was holding off until the new releases. Much as I like the look and the hackability of the iPod Touch (essentially running same OS as the iPhone) I'm not convinced by it and the classic iPods do appeal to me. I'm also close to the 60GB limit (I upgraded the HD in my iPod from 40 to 60GB). Thus I've got to decide what I want to do. Get a new battery and backlight, and perhaps upgrade the drive in the 4G, or splash out on a new 160GB Classic iPod, hmm.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:40 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

To be honest the functionality needs upgrading of the ipods. I mean it hacks me off that when I play tracks on shuffle I *might* want to then play the album of the current track Im listening to but there is no easy way to do that. When you think about the so called experts of useability have a pretty poor feature set on the ipod. Still happy with mine but it could be better.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:53 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've managed to live an Apple free life so far, yay. Do you really need it ?
Old 07 September 2007, 08:14 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob269
I've managed to live an Apple free life so far, yay. Do you really need it ?
yes if you want to do anything half decent
Old 07 September 2007, 09:04 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
To be honest the functionality needs upgrading of the ipods. I mean it hacks me off that when I play tracks on shuffle I *might* want to then play the album of the current track Im listening to but there is no easy way to do that. When you think about the so called experts of useability have a pretty poor feature set on the ipod. Still happy with mine but it could be better.
Wonder why it's called a Shuffle? Buy a Nano if you are that bothered.
Old 07 September 2007, 09:08 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've had nothing but trouble with my ipod since the day I got it. Had to replace the battery twice, it crashes, and when on a full charge (with a new battery) it only plays 4-5 cds before going flat. In fact if I charge it up, leave it for 2 days, and then go back to it (having not used it), it'll have gone flat as well...

Do the new ones behave any better, as at the moment I'm seriously thinking of getting something else...
Old 07 September 2007, 09:19 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

>it only plays 4-5 cds before going flat

There's your problem, stop trying to play CDs and copy a few MP3's over, you'll have a lot more success.

I wonder if there's a link between people who have trouble with the Xbox and the iPod? I have a 5-6 year old iPod that's like new and the same with my Xbox.
Old 07 September 2007, 09:22 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Typical - re-ripped my music last week to lossless and now have 18gb of music and counting...

Fingers crossed for Orange in the UK...
Old 07 September 2007, 09:25 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I've had nothing but trouble with my ipod since the day I got it. Had to replace the battery twice, it crashes, and when on a full charge (with a new battery) it only plays 4-5 cds before going flat. In fact if I charge it up, leave it for 2 days, and then go back to it (having not used it), it'll have gone flat as well...

Do the new ones behave any better, as at the moment I'm seriously thinking of getting something else...
Had similar trouble with my old one (Photo model) - the batteries do seem to die after a while, I "experimented" and left mine with a full charge playing to itself on shuffle and it lasted 3 1/2 hours so sent it off to Apple to replace it, got it back and tried the same thing and it went for 20 hrs.

My current Video model has performed faultlessly.
Old 07 September 2007, 09:28 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
There's your problem, stop trying to play CDs and copy a few MP3's over, you'll have a lot more success.

I wonder if there's a link between people who have trouble with the Xbox and the iPod? I have a 5-6 year old iPod that's like new and the same with my Xbox.
You know exactly what I mean. There's no need to be pedantic and smug.

The ipod I have (60gb ipod photo) has been dodgy since the day I got it, and it still looks like new (not even a scratch on the case) so it could hardly be said to have been mistreated. (In fact it gets transported to and from the office in my padded laptop bag most of the time, as I usually use it whilst programming away). I've generally been fairly unimpressed with it...

My old creative zen (which I gave to my dad when I bought the ipod a few years ago) is still going strong...

Quick Reply: Apple Event Today @ 10AM Pacific / 1PM Eastern