Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBL waves goodbye to modified 360's

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2007, 07:30 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBL waves goodbye to modified 360's

Microsoft have banned modified 360's from XBL www.raceready.co.uk

Last edited by gatecrasher3; 18 May 2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 18 May 2007, 08:03 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

LOL @ the people who thought they could get away with it
Old 18 May 2007, 10:01 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Great news
Old 18 May 2007, 10:02 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

woohooo

wonder how many of the people on my mates list are gone for good
Old 18 May 2007, 10:05 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

not like me

but i was arguing with some pikey on another forum who was advertising for "xbox chippin"

the ppl that do ilegal **** are lot more tallented then ppl who do it legaly

the last update they did one game with one drive made the xbox not boot up but within 20 mins there was a new updated flash how long do u think it took xbox to do the update to try and catch ppl out
Old 18 May 2007, 10:06 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

How can they tell if a console has been chipped / modified?

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2007, 10:07 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

that raceready website has very little content
Old 18 May 2007, 10:20 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Old 18 May 2007, 10:34 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Old 18 May 2007, 10:56 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by T4molie
How can they tell if a console has been chipped / modified?
Its likely that its the backup disc thats detected rather than the modifed firmware. Its also likely that MS have been able to tell for quite some time who's using modded consoles and who isn't, just waiting and gathering stats before actually starting to ban.

They say its conincidental that it concides with the Halo 3 beta release, but MS feeds its gamers in the form of the Halo 3 beta, you bite that hand - expect to get bitch-slapped
Old 18 May 2007, 12:51 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Stcky,

Has your 360 been chipped/modded? A mate of mine recently offered me a modded 360 and I was tempted but having seen this I may buy er a legit one

EDITED TO ADD: I just spoke to him about it and he's confirmed his has been banned
Old 18 May 2007, 01:50 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Microsoft's Games Global Marketing Team
One of the great things about LIVE and the unified community is that we work hard to create a level playing field for all gamers and have a no tolerance policy towards inappropriate behavior like hacking or cheating. As part of our commitment to our members, we do not allow people that we have detected to have modified their console to connect to LIVE. This is an important part of our efforts to try and maintain a fair gaming environment for the large majority of gamers that play by the rules. This topic is more important than ever given the recent release of the Halo 3 beta. As a result, some consumers that try to login to LIVE who we detect have illegally modified their console will get an error code (Status Code: Z: 8015 - 190D) when trying to connect to the service. These users will not have their account automatically banned from LIVE, but they will no longer be able to access the service from the console they modified.

We have stated in the past that customers can only enjoy access to the Xbox LIVE community through the use of a genuine, unmodified, Xbox console and we will continue to enforce this rule to ensure the integrity of our service, the protection of our partners and the benefits of our users.
Old 18 May 2007, 04:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Stcky,

Has your 360 been chipped/modded? A mate of mine recently offered me a modded 360 and I was tempted but having seen this I may buy er a legit one

EDITED TO ADD: I just spoke to him about it and he's confirmed his has been banned

NOOOOOO i`m against it!
i have a few mates who have there own boxes done, i dont think the games companies should lose out so i`m happy to pay full price for a good quality game, i will download the demos when possible, or if a game looks "sketchy" i will buy a preowned copy
Old 18 May 2007, 07:13 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Exactly, there are no excuses this time. Modded firmware is not for using homebrew apps and games, its about piracy, plain and simple.

MS provide many demos for you to make your own decisions before spending your hard earned, plus the games are priced sensibly and soon available at further deduced prices if you're prepared to wait a little. I've got a lot of respect for the way in which they've gone about things this time around.

It'll no doubt have a big effect of the number of Xbox Live users, but forums are full of idiots saying they'll just switch to the PS3 instead. What makes them think that Sony will be any more lenient ?
Old 18 May 2007, 07:25 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
What makes them think that Sony will be any more lenient ?
They are probably moving to the PS3 as it is still hackable. I am sure in time though Sony will combat it as MS have done with the 360.
Old 18 May 2007, 08:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to say, the quality of Xbox 360 games and Xbox live is such that I am happy to buy them, the whole piracy, chipping thing is so pikey, the level of arsing about and knowledge to get a game that may work but minus some functionality that might get you booted off is just not worth it. The demos from Xbox live are enough to decide whether to buy, I found with the copies most were crap anyway, plus you had to deal with the shady bloke who does copied games.
Old 18 May 2007, 08:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

just reading a few 360 forums for a laugh

and read this

There are a lot less people on halo 3 beta since the bans took effect. There was over 12k on network searching for games last night, today less than 400 ,

and this "gem"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not after any kind of sympathy or anything. I know M$ are well within their rights to protect there goods - as I knew what I was getting myself into. All I'm stating is that this approach is going to loose them a lot of revenue, not just them but the game devs too
LOL WHAT????

banning people with copied games is going to lose them revenue?

Last edited by StickyMicky; 18 May 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 18 May 2007, 10:09 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
just reading a few 360 forums for a laugh

and read this

and this "gem"

LOL WHAT????

banning people with copied games is going to lose them revenue?
Yes it will cost them dearly "brains".
Please think before you post.

P.S. I'm not condoning piracy, i hate it, but lets just see how much PS3 sales increase now. This will cost Microsoft dearly in the war against Sony i bet my life on it. Now Sony will start shifting some consoles because of this crack down on Xbox piracy, the games will follow too. Xbox games are now no longer available for free so what advantage do they now have over Sony ? Nothing. Plus why pay for Xbox live whan you can go to Sony for free.

You probably think this is crap but i bet Xbox live figures have dropped by almost half since they have banned all the flashed consoles. I also put my life on it they will not be renewing there live memberships....

Last edited by leonpoole; 18 May 2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 18 May 2007, 10:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

It will cost MS in lost revenue from Live subscriptions and marketplace points.

But why would they now buy a PS3 ? You still can't play backups ? Blu ray burners are expensive. The consoles expensive still
Old 18 May 2007, 10:52 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

It will cost MS in lost revenue from Live subscriptions and marketplace points.

But why would they now buy a PS3 ? You still can't play backups ? Blu ray burners are expensive. The consoles expensive still
As a 360 owner, Would you buy another console the same as the one you already have just to play on live had you been banned? If that was me I know I wouldn't. I'd use my 360 to play all the copied ****e i thought i was so great getting in the first place, and then buy a PS3 to play legal games online without having to worry about getting booted for being a scruffy pirate
Old 18 May 2007, 11:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Dear "brains"

the money they loose with people not paying for live anymore, that is bigger then the VAST amount of people paying £2.50 for a copied game, EVERYTIME down the pub???

how much is live ? £40 a year or something

how much do MS get from a game sale?

and i would hazzard a guess that yes, the current "hacked" 360 owners will probably still get cheap games, but it will deter "new" 360 owners from messing about IMHO

anyway, you sound like somebody that just got banned

Last edited by StickyMicky; 18 May 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:01 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

If a game developer feels that the console manufacturers are allowing people to mass-copy and distribute pirated games (by freely playing on Live, as an example) then they will eventually stop trusting the manufacturer, stop developing games on that platform, and move on to another console that does take issues such as this seriously.

MS are ultimately protecting their legacy by keeping the trust of the games developer. So it pisses off the population that are happy to rip them off? They'll get over it (or around it) lol
Old 19 May 2007, 12:26 AM
Thunder77
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with the action taken. Games dev costs a lot of money and can't see why somebody should get to play a game they've not paid for.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

had a quick search about and found this regards the burger king games and MS roylaties

What if Burger King decided to spend $10 million on one game instead of spread across three? I know product placement turns some people off, but I claim that if the game is really good it won’t matter how much product placement it contains. And when that happens, what happens to Microsoft’s royalty-based business model? At what point does Microsoft come to Burger King and ask for its $7?
possible $7 royalties per game ?

edit to add, found a bit more

In addition to the above, MS also is rumored to have decreased their base royalty down to $5 per game to help offset the increased costs of developing for this generation. They also integrated the Xbox Live Arcade service into every system to provide a method for “budget titles” to be released on the system and profit. The royalty for these titles is approximately 10% the price charged.
so say %10 of a games RRP?

nice page
Three Speech » THE INS AND OUTS OF GAME DEVELOPMENT - PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE

Last edited by StickyMicky; 19 May 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:30 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I take it this is a permanent ban then

I assume it will be on MAC addressess, or probably some other unique identifier, as MAC addressess can be cloned/spoofed quite easily, certainly on the pc side they can

Will this also see a rise in the sale of 2nd hand xbox's on ebay, with no mention of being chipped?

I dont have a 360, only an old xbox, and yes that is chipped, but I only own one game and I bought that from the shops , I only use it for watching the odd movie on anway, thought about getting a 360 but never actually got round to it LOL
Old 19 May 2007, 12:31 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Will this also see a rise in the sale of 2nd hand xbox's on ebay, with no mention of being chipped?
i was thinking about this today, ebay will be flooded with banned boxes no doubt!
Old 19 May 2007, 09:03 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

You can play "backups" on the PS3 at the moment but I would guess that Sony are trying to combat that as we speak.
Old 19 May 2007, 09:17 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

You can spoof the MAC address straight from the 360 user settings, so I can't see MS using MAC addresses to ban consoles.

Quick Reply: XBL waves goodbye to modified 360's