Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

2 New Work Pc's

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2007, 01:25 PM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 New Work Pc's

Hi All,

Im looking for some advise, my 2 originally purchased budget Pc's have got bogged down with so many files and are now running very slowing and I keep getting memory warnings and various other problems,

I am looking to replace both models,

My outlook express generally holds around 30,000 ( and growing ) emails in sent / received, and I often run various programs at the same time, I have windows media open all day, outlook express, searching internet and various word or excel docs open at any one time.

I also hold thousands of word or excel docs.

It drives me mad waiting for files to open so I would like a fast machine that can handle various commands at the same time.

I am happy to buy a Dell or PC world product and would probably buy a package that includes a new flat panel monitor.

I would like advise on getting the right blend of getting the correct PC i need but without going for the most expensive if thats not needed, having said that im also not seeking the very cheapest model as I guess I will be in the same trouble as with my current Pcs.

Can I get some advise on the exact models I should be looking at.

Thanks alot !
Old 07 March 2007, 01:26 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not format it or try spyware removal.

would you buy a new car because the current one needs a wash?
Old 07 March 2007, 01:35 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try archiving some email.
Old 12 March 2007, 06:17 PM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies,

I take on your points but surely at some stage computers are there for updating / expanding etc

Is there an actual place in Outlook Express for Archiving old emails ? I cant seem to find anything,

I have run Spyware and it didnt seem to find too much and for some reason it wont defrag.

Looking to the details it says the Capacity is 34.93 GB , Free Space 24.00 GB, DOnt know if this is good or bad !

For the defrag I get the following message,

" Disk defrag has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volumr :
IBM : Preload
Please Run Chl dsk / f.
Old 12 March 2007, 06:56 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a network drive with proper redundancy and backup is what you need. What would happen if you lost that lot?
Old 12 March 2007, 10:56 PM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

erm, I wouldnt be best pleased thats for sure ! something happened a few months ago that caused me to lose all sent emaild from start of 2006 up to Oct 2006 was about 10,000 sent docs,

Im just not sure how to do all the backingup thingy and if I now need a server etc,
Old 14 March 2007, 09:15 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

quote >Looking to the details it says the Capacity is 34.93 GB , Free Space 24.00 GB, DOnt know if this is good or bad !

this means you have used 10.93 gb of your hard drive so you have plenty left, however a 35gb hard disk is not alot these days which suggests your pc is quite old?
Clean your pc up , reinstall windows,burn your documents etc on to dvd. a fresh windows install will more than likely speed things up greatly as well as get rid of any viruses/spyware.
If yur going to get a new pc then these new dual core cpus are supposed to be good for multitasking if i remember correctly.also make sure the new pc has a half decent graffics card and plenty of memory like 2gb