Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX has died...can I mod it?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2007, 09:50 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBOX has died...can I mod it?

Hi,

My Xbox has been on and off for the last few months, but now it looks like it's finally dead - the hard drive just keeps stuttering and clicking when I switch it on.

If I 'chip' it and add a new hard drive, will I be able to use it again and specifically, will I be able to get onto Xbox Live? I guess some of these chips are switchable?

How much does it cost for a mod kit, where can I get one and are they easy to install?

I'm just not ready for a 360 yet...

I'm sure there will be other posts on this subject, but I couldn't get the search feature to work.

Thanks!
Old 09 January 2007, 10:51 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It depends on what has broken. You could just end up with a broken chipped xbox instead of a broken xbox.
Old 09 January 2007, 11:03 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

why not just buy a 2nd hand hdd for it ? chiping wont help with out a good hdd
Old 09 January 2007, 11:36 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure the hard drive has gone. When I switch the console on, I can hear it clicking loudly, then it won't get past the initial green 'X' screen and finally an error 07 is reported, with a request in multiple languages to contact customer services.

According to Microsoft support, I need to be able to get to the Xbox console screen in order to try a re-set code and I can't get that far.

As for getting a new hard drive, well yes, I'd need one of those too (I have one waiting from my old PC), but unless I'm mistaken, you need the console to be chipped in order for it to recognise and work with the new HDD.

If that's not the case and I can simply replace the hard drive, please someone tell me how! ;o)

By the way, I just want to stress that I don't want to so anything dodgy with it, i.e. run copied games - I just want to be able to play my Halo 2!!
Old 10 January 2007, 01:16 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Old 10 January 2007, 10:49 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Anybody done this and got any advice?
Old 10 January 2007, 11:02 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Why not just buy another one? Cheaper than a new hard drive and a chip Shop for XBox Console. at Argos.co.uk
Old 10 January 2007, 11:21 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, good luck and sell your xbox to me rolleyes.gif
Old 10 January 2007, 11:27 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If the HDD is busted, you can mod the console temporarily with a solderless chip. You can then replace the HDD, replace the dashboard files using one of the many boot disks and lock the HDD using the consoles unique HDD key to allow you to remove the chip and still boot the console. If you don't lock the drive then you can't boot without the chip and therefore will get banned on Live.

As above, for what it costs for a modchip and a new drive you could get a brand new console. If you can borrow and chip and already have a replacement drive then you're in business.
Old 10 January 2007, 07:31 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
If the HDD is busted, you can mod the console temporarily with a solderless chip. You can then replace the HDD, replace the dashboard files using one of the many boot disks and lock the HDD using the consoles unique HDD key to allow you to remove the chip and still boot the console. If you don't lock the drive then you can't boot without the chip and therefore will get banned on Live.

As above, for what it costs for a modchip and a new drive you could get a brand new console. If you can borrow and chip and already have a replacement drive then you're in business.
Good point about the cost I suppose...

I can get one through work for £30, but I was a) trying to be kind to the environment ;o), and b) wanting to replace it with a 360 later in the year (when the HDMI equipped one comes out).

Seems like a wate to buy a whole new console just for a few months.

This is all starting to sound like a lot of effort though. I'll open 'er up and check the cables, as you say.

One other thing; the console has booted today, so do you reckon it's worth running the re-set?