Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Limiting a user (XP home)..?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2006, 11:43 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Limiting a user (XP home)..?

I've set up a user account for my 2 year old to use the PC (I can't believe he can use a mouse already..! ) and I'm not sure of the best way to limit what he can do. Obviouosly he's supervised but is it possible to disable the right mouse click..?

Also, how do you set an account up where say only something like the cbeebies website is available, with no other control other than to log off/shut down..?

I've got the web page as a desktop, just need to disable the unnecessary controls if possible..

I'm computer literate (believe it or not.. ), just never had to setup any limited user accounts before..

Cheers,
Jason

PS lol, the way he's picking it up he'll be logging on himself before long..
Old 11 October 2006, 08:51 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

a 2 yr old browsing the web, that is scary what happened to train sets and road maps with corgi cars!

To limit browser activity I think depends on browser used. I use the bt internet browser and that has parental controls on it so you can limit what sites can be accessed etc.

The right click issue, I know tweak xp used to have a feature to disable desktop features but I cant remember if it still let you have the copy/paste/delete options etc.
Just done a quick search on google and there is plenty of javascript code out there that will do it, but how you get it to run I dont know
Old 11 October 2006, 09:35 AM
Monkeybone
Scooby Regular

an't remember, can you set local secrity policies in xp home and apply them to specific accounts, or is it all or nothing (or just nothing at all as it's home)?
Old 11 October 2006, 02:38 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

IIRC only Pro edition supports group policy, haven't dabbled much with parental control but again IIRC net nanny is a prog that does it