Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Home Hub

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2006, 11:24 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BT Home Hub

Just Ordered BT Home Hub Option Three, has anyone recieved theres and how do they find it. I have heard mixed reviews so after any info.

Needed a wireless adapter but theres no way im paying 50 quid for one from BT, i`ll just goto my local shop and get some there.
Old 23 August 2006, 11:32 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

The only really good thing about the BT packages (as opposed to other ISP's) is that they give you 250 wifi minutes.

Steve
Old 24 August 2006, 08:34 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Went to one of my managers houses the other day where i work to test out his adsl connection. We took along a Linksys and Dratek router to test, when we got there we found he already had one of these BT Hubs.

Definately the worst router I have ever used....Wireless was dropping out when the laptop was right next to it, using ping -t the replys from the router were taking between 5-4000ms and not to mention the constant drop outs, worth mentioning that we tried 3 different laptops also using Centrino wireless and Cisco cards. Wired connection were ok and the line was holding solid. Totally useless for wireless though.

Tried the Linksys and Draytek and both had decent wireless in comparison, i would defo steer well clear of those routers

Last edited by mike1210; 24 August 2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 24 August 2006, 10:15 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
Went to one of my managers houses the other day where i work to test out his adsl connection. We took along a Linksys and Dratek router to test, when we got there we found he already had one of these BT Hubs.

Definately the worst router I have ever used....Wireless was dropping out when the laptop was right next to it, using ping -t the replys from the router were taking between 5-4000ms and not to mention the constant drop outs, worth mentioning that we tried 3 different laptops also using Centrino wireless and Cisco cards. Wired connection were ok and the line was holding solid. Totally useless for wireless though.

Tried the Linksys and Draytek and both had decent wireless in comparison, i would defo steer well clear of those routers
I've been getting similar problems with the Voyager 2500V. Upgraded to the 8mb just before BT announced the new Home Hub and so on - got sent a 2500V and wired it works fine but try going wireless and it's bl00dy useless!!

Got them to send me another 2500 but it's made zero difference

Glad you've made the point about the Home Hub cos I was about to get them to send me one of those - not sure I'll bother now.

Anybody else tried wireless with success on the HH?

Andy
Old 24 August 2006, 10:18 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Chap at work has the HH

The wireless is very weak.

That aside, it worked out of the box
Old 24 August 2006, 10:20 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

The only BT router I've found to be spot on with the wireless is the 2110 - why oh why did I give that to my bro in Spain
Old 24 August 2006, 10:21 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah - I've found the same as above, coupled with it dropping the ADSL link repeatedly.

I went back to my Netgear within a week
Old 24 August 2006, 12:58 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Don't really see the point. Isn't the home hub thing just a router and an IP phone. Sure you could buy the equivilent kit that would be just as good and cheaper?
Old 24 August 2006, 04:55 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think the think is Graz BT and the other players are offering aggressive call bundles with the kit which makes them attractive.

Gary
Old 24 August 2006, 06:42 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

I'm currently with BT on their old 2mb package. Since I got my laptop I bought a Linksys router and all has been well up until the last month when I've had the Internet and DSL connection dropping constantly. It's driving me insane now, so frustrating. I've rung BT and all I get is some guy in Bombay telling me to do this and do that. All I want is them to send a bloody engineer round to check everything out!

I was going to upgrade to this new Total Broadband thing too but if it's going to be Total Crap then I may as well just look towards a new provider. Perhaps give the Sky deal a go.

Also does anyone know a number for BT where I can actually get through to someone and put in a proper complaint about this??
Old 24 August 2006, 09:03 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

mine comes on 31/8 will not dismantle my old router set up then how depressing
Old 24 August 2006, 10:32 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

HAd mine a month or so. No problems connection-wise at all. Never dropped and all worked pretty much out the box.

Free weekend and evening calls, AV included + wait to see how this BT Vision will all integrate.

Oh, and I get it at discounted rate being part of the 'BT Extended workforce'
Old 25 August 2006, 08:07 AM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

I've had the home hub up and running for a couple of months now and have had no problems at all with it. The wireless side of things has never dropped the connection, and has great signal strength. I had problems previously with netgear and belkin routers dropping connection and poor signal strength.

The only downside is the admin of the hardware, and inital setup if you want more than out of the box settings. But the couple of hours spent on this has been more than worthwhile.
Old 25 August 2006, 08:09 AM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys i receieve it next week so i`ll see what its like
Old 25 August 2006, 09:29 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by RoosterRoo
I've had the home hub up and running for a couple of months now and have had no problems at all with it. The wireless side of things has never dropped the connection, and has great signal strength. I had problems previously with netgear and belkin routers dropping connection and poor signal strength.

The only downside is the admin of the hardware, and inital setup if you want more than out of the box settings. But the couple of hours spent on this has been more than worthwhile.
Rooster.... what wireless adaptor are you using in your pc / laptop?
Old 26 August 2006, 12:30 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Ive heard problems with wireless droppages can be reduced or even cured by changing the channel of the HH (could be getting interference from something else) and by switching off the support for everything except the 802.11g frequency (or 802.11b if thats what you need)

There are quite a few HH users currently posting on a new area of these forums (including myself):

http://www.trasplace.co.uk/phpBB2/in...bf467ff50efdd1

Last edited by Beefy; 26 August 2006 at 12:33 PM.