Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Getting DVDs into format for ipod / zen vision

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2006, 01:17 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting DVDs into format for ipod / zen vision

Is there an easy way to get original DVDs into a DivX, mpeg4 etc format for use with an Ipod / Zen Vision? I have no idea what's involved at all or how long an episode of something like Sex and the City would take to copy over!!

Ta!!
Old 01 August 2006, 01:39 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

DVD Decrytor then PSP Video 9 - both free downloads, have a look on google for them.

DVD Decryptor will rip the .vob file off the DVD onto your hdd, and it'll give you choice of not doing things like subtitles to save space. main reason of the program is to removce copy protection.

PSP Video 9 coverts the file into an mpeg4 file for use on an ipod or PSP. I recently did the animatrix with this - 16 min vid comes in around 130mb, but I do have the file with good audio and at 29frames per second - the ipod only supports 15fps - so the file would drop to around 30mb.

Also, once you've imported it into itunes, under the "advanced" list there's a "convert to ipod" tool to bring the file size down even further by switching the file to the ipods resolution.

my brother in law has a video ipod with films on, he reckons watching films drains the battery quite fast - down to about 2 hrs.

If you need any help just let me know.

PS - take no notice whatsoever of the PSP V9's progress bar, a 30 min episode is likely to take at least 1 hour convert.
Old 01 August 2006, 01:55 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

PS - have you considered getting them via torrent? then use i tunes to shrink them for you.
Old 01 August 2006, 03:16 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Thanks messiah, I'm still considering what to get. I would like something that I can put video for when I go away for work or whilst I'm at the gym. I'd also like to be able to have mp3s on the same thing too if possible.