Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MAX DSL upgrade, now no connection!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 01:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAX DSL upgrade, now no connection!!!!

Hi all,

Question for the knowledgable on here in case there is something I might be able to do to resolve the problem described below.

As a couple of days ago, I can't connect to my broadband service. I have a PC running Windows 98SE with a Binatone 500 USB modem. My ISP is Plusnet (who have ben great in the past, but now the service appears to have gone to pot). I understand that they've been rolling out upgrades to MAX DSL and that I was to be upgaded (I used to have an ultra stable 2mb connection). I received an E-mail notification of this, ironically, after the problem occurred!

I've performed the basic line checks, which come up as ok, I've tried rebooting the computer and turning off my firewall (although this has never caused an issue before) and I've also checked the cables are plugged in correctly. I've also tried re-installing my hardware, swapping the microfilters and the problem remains. I can't connect at all.

So, I ran the modem diagnostic check and this generated the following information. First of all, the connection was not on when I booted the computer up (it should be always on and that is how it is set) So I tried to connect manually. This just yielded the message "ERROR".

When I ran the diagnostic tool, the following results were obtained:

USB connection- Pass
Check ADSL connection- Pass
Test ethernet connection to ATM- Pass
Test PPPoPvc O PPP layer connection -Fail
Test PPPoPvc O IP connect to PPP -Skipped

I've not changed any of the connection settings knowingly, and looking at the modem, I can see that the first two lights are on solidly and the third (i.e the data one) flashes intermitantly, as if it's trying to send data.

Strangely enough, although I'm not connected (and can't connect) the downstream rate on the modem diagnostic shows 8064kbps???

I wonder if it's my modem that can't take the new higher flow of data of whether its just something at the BT end or with Plusnet's server configuration. I hear lots of talk of upgrade problems, but its difficult to identify exactly what the problem is....

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ns04
Old 10 July 2006, 01:47 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

first guess would be user account if the PPP is failing have they changed your user account????

plus net used to be a great ISP but have gone to POT, changing terms and conditions whenever they feel like, putting people on other compaines LLU's without telling the customer......the list goes on
Old 10 July 2006, 01:48 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

There is a 10 day configuration period at which point you may have several hours a day of disconnection and its nothing to worry about apparently.

I had a trouble free upgrade, but other have had a week of drop out outs and broken connections.
Old 10 July 2006, 02:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by lightning101
There is a 10 day configuration period at which point you may have several hours a day of disconnection and its nothing to worry about apparently.

I had a trouble free upgrade, but other have had a week of drop out outs and broken connections.
I've got sod all mate!!!

Never had a problem with Plusnet before; they've always been great!! They could have handled this situation much better though- people appear to be leaving in droves! I'll be patient for a bit, I understand there are issues with the upgrade across all ISPs, but some connection/support would be nice!!

Mike, thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate as best I can. I suspect I may have been moved as you say....rumour has it that some have been moved to Tiscali, and I've heard of nothing but bad things about them!!!

Ns04
Old 10 July 2006, 02:12 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

doesnt hurt to ring them and ask for your user credentials. I've heard of dropouts and the like from max upgrades but no connection is a little odd unless they are taking ages on the transfer process. Id leave plus net to be honest.....if you still want MAXDSL..... Zen and Nildram are decent ISP's, im with Zen who have been great
Old 10 July 2006, 02:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mike1210
doesnt hurt to ring them and ask for your user credentials. I've heard of dropouts and the like from max upgrades but no connection is a little odd unless they are taking ages on the transfer process. Id leave plus net to be honest.....if you still want MAXDSL..... Zen and Nildram are decent ISP's, im with Zen who have been great
Will do, but waiting times are awful at the mo, as a result of all the probs I guess!

I'd hate to leave Plus net as they have been genuinely excellent till now (i've never had a disconnection in 2 years and the speeds have been dot on and very stable) I'm amazed at how quickly things seem to have deteriorated; what should have been a very popular upgrade is now a nightmare for them!! I'd like to give them the chance to resolve the issue before jumping ship, which might entail an even longer period of disconnection and much more hassle, I'm guessing?

Many thanks for the recommendation though- I'll check them out just in case!

Ns04
Old 10 July 2006, 03:20 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Have a similar issue myself. Upgraded from 100% stable "meg connection ( with F2S ) to MAX. I know get connected at anything between 4.8 and 5.5 Megs, but whenever the phone gets used,the connection drops. Bloody annoying. I've got BT coming out Wednesday to have a look, Friday and Saturday the line was so noisy, it was like someone was rubbing 2 sheets of sandpaper down the line!

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2006, 06:31 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Leave your modem on and plugged in for about 2 weeks for the line speeds to settle and your connection to get through (bt engineer)

If it don't work then contact your isp staing that your internet connection is not working. Many people who subscribe to this do not get told!
Old 10 July 2006, 06:32 PM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Have a similar issue myself. Upgraded from 100% stable "meg connection ( with F2S ) to MAX. I know get connected at anything between 4.8 and 5.5 Megs, but whenever the phone gets used,the connection drops. Bloody annoying. I've got BT coming out Wednesday to have a look, Friday and Saturday the line was so noisy, it was like someone was rubbing 2 sheets of sandpaper down the line!
HR dis somwhere along the pair comming from your exchange

Could be a faulty filter or a problem in your extension sockets or even your phone.
Old 11 July 2006, 02:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Update, over the last few days got the following updates:

no ras logs since june - sent to supplier to check further - awaiting updates

Supplier's fault reference number: ###########

No idea what these mean, but I take it, it's a fault at their end!!

Ns04
Old 11 July 2006, 04:14 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to be honest the fact that your are using a usb modem will not help you. Ideally you need a router. Check out the following link for info on max

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
Old 12 July 2006, 09:15 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you have the same problem with Plusnet that I have at the moment, though I've not been maxed yet.

My router syncs, but there's no onward connection.

I had the same problem about a month ago too, and it was a very quick fix for them in the end... just took them a week to get round to doing it!

John.
Old 12 July 2006, 11:33 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by john_s
It sounds like you have the same problem with Plusnet that I have at the moment, though I've not been maxed yet.

My router syncs, but there's no onward connection.

I had the same problem about a month ago too, and it was a very quick fix for them in the end... just took them a week to get round to doing it!

John.
John,

Apparently there is an Opt out feature on being moved to Tiscali UUL or whatever the damn thing is called! Plusnet did say they would E-mail everyone 7 days prior to the move to give them the chance to decline, but apparently this hasn't happened. I got an E-mail informing me of the move 2 days after my connection went down!! If your connection is currently good and stable (min was great as it was), I'd consider the Opt out, as lots of people seem to be having problems with the move.

Good luck.

Ns04
Old 12 July 2006, 11:35 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
to be honest the fact that your are using a usb modem will not help you. Ideally you need a router. Check out the following link for info on max

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
Many thanks for the link.

I can't help but feel that if the upgrade was going to cause connection issus for equipment that Plusnet themselves supplied, we should have had at least some notice though and maybe an offer of either a) staying with the set up that worked fine for us b) Some help towards the cost of a router.

Ns04
Old 12 July 2006, 11:38 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Yes the lines are very blurry with plus net. Apparently a while back when people tried to cancel, they were told they couldn't as they were in the process of being moved onto LLU. And they never told any of the customers they were being moved

Last edited by mike1210; 13 July 2006 at 03:57 PM.