Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OS X on a G3

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 01:09 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS X on a G3

Hi peeps,

A quick question for all the real know it all Mac heads.

I have a g3 (Power PC beige box) been given to me. It has either 256 or 512MB ram in it and a 10GB HDD. Would 10.3 fit on it ? just for browsing and such ? Failing that ill put it on freecycle as I already have too many pcs.

cheers

Stu
Old 05 June 2006, 02:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

From what I recall the beige boxes don't have USB and 10.3 requires USB to operate. So the default install CD's for OS X simply won't let you install.

All is not lost though, you could use XPostFacto to get it running on there. I've tried this on a beige box and it does work.
Old 05 June 2006, 02:13 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
From what I recall the beige boxes don't have USB and 10.3 requires USB to operate. So the default install CD's for OS X simply won't let you install.

All is not lost though, you could use XPostFacto to get it running on there. I've tried this on a beige box and it does work.
Thanks for that Marcus. Kinda knew it would be you

Whats the speed like on the boxes ?
Old 05 June 2006, 02:15 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Best case is you have a 266mhz, I ran 10.3.9 on my 333 powerbook and it runs ok but only just, better than Tiger I think...!
Also I doubt it has a DVD drive (it may) so Tiger would be even harder, Panther did come on CDs though.

10gb will be enough, the lappy had a 4gb in it and it fit with a GB to spare, obviously depends on what printer drives and languages you install...

What do you hope to do with it?
Browsing and email is pretty much your lot on that I'm afraid.

With the price of Mac Minis what they are, you'd be better off getting one of those if you are looking to step into the world of Macdom.

Rich B
Old 05 June 2006, 09:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

It's not just the memory issues. There's a motherboard revision that basically puts the kybosh on installing OSX.

The USB issue can be worked around, but depending on which MOBO revision you have, this also puts the kybosh on installing additional hard drives. The same revsion says "no" to OSX......

However, I've got a G3 Powerbook (Pismo) and running Tiger quite happily with 512Meg Ram........

Dan
Old 06 June 2006, 10:12 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I had to put my lombard (333/CD/no FW) HD in a Pismo, install Tiger and put it back in again, didn't need xpostfacto thingy...