Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How do I open a PC CD-rom on AppleMac ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 06:36 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I open a PC CD-rom on AppleMac ?

We have just bought a sat nav system and the CD rom that provides the 'drivers' for updates etc is Windows PC-we use AppleMac G4 Tiger O/S ! The sat nav people tell me that they don't have an Apple version !!!***
The CD opens to a index/menu type of page which shows what is on the CD but will not go any further. Is there anyway of installing the CD onto the Apple without having to buy expensive new software ? If new software is required then what is the simplest to get-I just want to install and run, not use it to cook Sunday lunch as well!!!!

Cheers

JBL
Old 29 May 2006, 06:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The Mac cannot execute Windows applications by default. It's a totally different operating system.

As you have found you can read the CD ROM, but there isn't much else you can do at that point without getting some form of emulation software.

If you want a free solution then look at the Q application. Other commercial solutions are available such as Microsoft's Virtual PC.

Note that neither of these will be particularly quick, but I'd say that Virtual PC would probably be the better of the two.

You will also need a copy of Windows. When you purchase VPC you may be able to purchase Windows at the same time, unless you have a copy to install.

One other thing, how does the sat nav system update, is in, does it use USB or serial? This is important as the Mac does not have a serial port, and most of the time serial port emulation through emulation software does not work that well. The same may be true for the VPC solution as well.

What Sat Nav system are you using? Let me know and I'll have a look around and see if anyone has worked out how to get a Mac to talk to the thing, it might be possible.
Old 29 May 2006, 10:13 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Markus, thanks--you have PM.

JBL